thirteen

Quinn Donovan did not like Mr Tanner. Thankfully, Mr Tanner didn't mind Quinn Donovan thanks to her relation to his star quarterback, Matt Donovan.

Quinn especially didn't like fact that Mr Tanner loved to just randomly pick on students in the classroom, expecting them to be able to answer his questions when he hadn't even taught them the syllabus yet.

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?" Mr Tanner asked, focusing his full attention on the girl.

"Um... a lot? I'm not sure. Like a whole lot." Bonnie mumbled in response, clearly a little embarrassed about being put on the spot.

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett." Mr Tanner jeered, as he turned his attention to his next victim. "Mr. Donovan? Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

Matt smiled smugly, "It's okay, Mr Tanner, I'm cool with it."

Mr Tanner nodded, annoyance flashing across his face at the blasé response, "Hmm. Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significantly historical events?"

Elena glanced up abruptly, stuttering a reply, "I'm sorry, I-I don't know."

Mr Tanner stopped pacing, "I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena. But the personal excuses ended with summer break."

Quinn looked at Mr Tanner with wide eyes. What did he just say?

Her inner thoughts were interrupted by none other than the new kid, Stefan Salvatore, "There were 346 casualties. Unless you're counting local civilians."

Mr Tanner looked surprised, "That's correct. Mister...?"

"Salvatore." Stefan replied, filling in the pause obviously left for him to introduce himself.

"Salvatore?" Mr Tanner sounded interested. "Any relations to the original settlers of Mystic Falls?"

"Distant." Stefan hummed.

"Well, very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle." Mr Tanner said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Actually," Stefan interrupted him. "There were 27. Confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. It was a night of great loss."

Mr Tanner looked mildly aggravated at Stefan's response.

Stefan smugly added, "The founder's archives are, uh, stored in civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts. Mr. Tanner."

"Hmm." Mr Tanner grumbled and Quinn had to hide her grin behind her hand.