thirty five

"Hey, Bonnie, look at this," Elena called, beckoning her friend to join the couple by a particular display. "The Founding Families in Mystic Falls welcomes you to the inaugural Founder's Council Celebration."

Quinn blinked in surprise, "Is that the original guest registry?"

Elena nodded in confirmation as Bonnie joined the couple.

"Look at all these familiar names..." Elena continued. "Sheriff William Forbes, Mayor Benjamin Lockwood.."

There was a pause, and Quinn looked at her girlfriend with a questioning gaze, "You okay, 'Lena?"

"Is that Damon Salvatore? And, Stefan Salvatore?"

Quinn felt as if she'd had the wind knocked out of her, immediately turning to see for her self what her girlfriend had read aloud.

A voice rung out behind them suddenly, Bonnie's blood immediately running cold as she realised who it was.

"The original Salvatore brothers," Damon announced dramatically. "Our ancestors. Tragic story, actually."

Quinn, Elena and Bonnie spun, turning to face Damon, Stefan and Caroline as they joined them by the registry.

"We don't need to bore them with stories of the past." Stefan interrupted, eyeing Damon warily.

Damon merely stared at him, his gaze unwavering.

"Well, I'm bored," Caroline announced, sharing a look with her friends. "I wanna dance... and Damon won't dance with me."

Damon grumbled at the thought, and Caroline continued, "Will you dance with me, Stefan?"

If she wasn't able to distract Damon, she'd at least remove the other stalker brother from the situation.

"I don't really dance." Stefan declined politely.

"Oh, sure he does," Damon interrupted, making Stefan look at him with a sharp gaze. "You should see him. Waltz, the jitterbug, the moonwalk. He does it all."

"You wouldn't mind, would you, Stefan?" Caroline asked again, unrelenting.

Stefan fumbled, giving her the chance to pull him away from the group, "Well sorry, but I'm not going to take no for an answer."

Quinn could have kissed her. Caroline Forbes was an angel sent from above.

Unfortunately, Damon stayed. He watched Caroline and Stefan leave and Quinn wanted to use the opportunity to grab Elena and Bonnie and make a run for it.

"I want to apologise to you," Damon began, and Quinn watched Elena sigh in annoyance, "For being such a world-class jerk the other night when I tried to kiss you. There's no excuse."