thirty one

Damon clapped slowly when he saw the Donovan boy finally leave Stefan's side

Damon clapped slowly when he saw the Donovan boy finally leave Stefan's side. The noise caused Stefan to turn to face him.

"Ain't that nice? Stefan joins the team and makes some friends," Damon teased. "It's so 'Rah! Rah! Go team! Yeah!'"

"Not tonight. I'm done with you." Stefan said, turning to move away from him.

In a second, Damon was in front of him.

"Nice trick with Elena. Let me guess... vervain in the necklace?" Damon guessed, but he already knew the answer. "I admit, I was a bit surprised. It's been a while since anyone could resist my compulsion. Where'd you get it?"

"Does it matter?" Stefan retorted.

"Or the better question, how'd you get it to her?" Damon asked again. "You know that little gang is calling you a stalker."

Stefan frowned, ignoring his brother.

"Quinn certainly wouldn't have accepted on Elena's behalf. Neither would Caroline nor Bonnie..." Damon continued, before gasping dramatically. "Saint Stefan! Did you compel someone?"

Stefan cringed as he remembered Victoria's monotonous voice as she repeated back to him, promising to give the necklace to Elena by any means necessary.

Damon chuckled darkly as he realised he hit a nerve, "Well, now she has vervain so I guess I'm going to have to just seduce her the old-fashioned way... Or I could just eat her."

"No. You're not gonna hurt her, Damon." Stefan said.

"No?"

"Because deep down inside, there is a part of you that feels for her. I was worried that you had no humanity left inside of you, that you may have actually become the monster that you pretend to be." Stefan began.

"Who's pretending?" Damon questioned.

"Then kill me." Stefan stated.

"Well, I'm... I'm tempted." Damon muttered as if in deep thought.

"No, you're not. You've had lifetimes to do it, and yet, here I am. I'm still alive. And there you are. You're still haunting me. After 145 years. Katherine is dead. And you hate me because you loved her, and you torture me because you still do. And that, my brother, is your humanity." Stefan announced.

"Salvatore! What the hell? We've got a game to play!" Stefan froze at the sound of Mr Tanner's voice.

"If that's my humanity... then what's this?" Damon growled, violently tearing out Mr Tanner's throat.

"Anyone, anytime, any place."

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

The group of best friends watched with wide eyes as Mr Tanner's dead body was placed into the back of an ambulance.

Elena shuddered, her grip tightening on Quinn's hand as they linked fingers, "What kind of animal could be doing all this? Why would it come out of the woods and attack someone in the middle of town?"

"Uh, guys..." Bonnie's voice trembled as she drew their attention onto herself.

She shakily pointed towards the building next to them, which said 'BLDG 8'.

She then pointed to the number plate of the ambulance Mr Tanner was being loaded into, 'FHT 14'.

Finally, she pointed to the numbers spray painted on the floor of the carpark, '22'.

"8... 14... 22..." Bonnie breathed, looking at the girls with tear filled eyes.