Chapter 25: Thanks A Lot, Love

Shane's POV

"Sorry for the shirt." I heard her say, pointing to my chest. I looked down, already knowing that there was a very wet patch there. But it didn't bother me one bit actually. I looked back up to her with a smile on my lips and enclosed my hand around her little one that was still pointing at the patch.

"I don't mind it at all, sweetheart."

 I was tempted, so tempted to bring her hand towards my lips, especially when she was looking at me like that, so innocently, but I didn't want to scare her away. Which I'm sure it would.

So I let go of her hand and rubbed my neck, thinking of how to distract my thoughts. If I didn't, I'm sure I would do or say something stupid.

"So are we heading back now?" She asked.

An idea popped up in my head.

"Yup sure. We just need to make a quick stop at the grocery store but that's near our hotel anyway." She raised an eyebrow but I only gave her a smile that said I wasn't going to reveal my plan. After staring me down for a few seconds, she huffed and waved her hand, muttering a 'whatever'. This only caused my grin to stretch out. I loved how she knew exactly what that expression of mine meant.

We talked about loads of random things on our way back. It was relaxing. Talking to her, about anything, seemed to calm me down and made me just want to take everything in slowly and savour every moment. It made me want to remember exactly everything. From the way she got excited when talking about something she loved, to the movements of her arms in the air when she felt words weren't enough to sufficiently express herself and to her laughter that seemed to sound lovelier when I was the one who caused it.

From television shows that we watch to the music that we listen to to our school life; I got to know more about her. Bands that she absolutely hated to those that she worshipped, shows that she felt like slapping the main characters in one episode and hugging them the next, teachers in her school who have a non-humorous sense of humour...and it left me wanting to know more. I wanted to know what she thought on everything, be it the internet, video games, books, even the bloody sky. I had a feeling that her answers would always interest me.

 I found out that she actually does really well in school. I knew that my Kayla was smart, anyone can tell that. I felt proud of her for some reason. It wasn't even an accomplishment of mine and yet I still felt proud. She made me do weird things like that.

A short ringing sound played as Kayla and I entered the grocery store. I walked, trying to find the section that I came here for. When I found it, a grin made its way to my lips.

I looked back at Kayla who wore a smile as well as she had understood what I came here for. 

"Not bad, Shane. Not a bad idea at all. I could use some food for the soul." She praised as she patted my shoulder while smiling down at the range of ice cream flavours before her.