Vol. 1 Ch. 7 Robot Repairs

Your POV

I got back to my dorm and set the eyebot and the satchel of scrap metal on the desk. On my way back to Beacon, I had asked Ozpin if there was a workbench or workshop area that I could use. Luckily, he told me that there was and he told me how to get there. I decided that I'd start working on the repairs in the morning after breakfast. I sat down as I activated the holographic computer and began to search for some eyebot schematics to give me an idea of what I might have to repair internally. After a while of searching, I finally came across an eyebot schematic that I could use. I downloaded the schematics onto a holotape so I could refer to it on my Pip-Boy. I then got myself ready for bed and went to sleep.

The Next Morning

I yawned as I opened my eyes and sat up. It seemed like Yang had decided to sleep in her dorm last night since I was by myself. I got up and put on my jumpsuit, glasses, and my Pip-Boy. I grabbed the satchel and put it over my shoulder. I decided that I'd come back to get the eyebot after I ate, so I headed to the cafeteria. As I was eating, I saw Yang walk over to me with an unsure look on her face. She sat down and I said, "What's wrong?"

Yang sighed and said, "A while after you left yesterday, Weiss and Blake got into a huge argument about the White Fang. They kept arguing the whole way back to the dorms. Then Blake ended up revealing that she was a Faunus and either is or was a member of the White Fang. She ran off after that and hasn't come back yet." I placed my hand on her shoulder and said, "I'm sure she's fine. She probably just needs some time to cool down. Whatever it is, I'm sure she has her reasons. We shouldn't jump to conclusions without hearing her side of the story." Yang smiled and said, "Thanks, Blue. I needed that. So did you find out what was sending that distress signal yesterday?" I took another drink of my Nuka-Cola Orange and said, "Yeah, it was an old eyebot, but I won't know why it was doing sending that weird distress signal or why it was there in the first place until I can repair it. I planned on taking it to the workshop area after breakfast and working on it." Yang nodded and said, "Good luck with that. I haven't seen a working eyebot in person before. From what I know, eyebots haven't been used in decades, so who knows how long it's been out there." I smiled and said, "Well, that explains why it was so hard to find a set of schematics that I could actually use. Nonetheless, all I can do is try my best to fix it."

Once I finished eating, I stopped at my dorm to grab the eyebot and headed to the workshop. When I arrived, I quickly found an isolated room that was fully equipped with a workbench, a full chest of tools, an acetylene welding torch, and a soldering iron with plenty of full spools of solder to use. I smiled and said, "Perfect." I entered the room and set the eyebot on the workbench before closing the door. I set the satchel of scrap metal on the table and grabbed a pair of welding goggles. I tuned my Pip-Boy to a nearby radio station that was playing some old classics that I recognized from my time before the Vault. (A/N: Think Diamond City Radio vibes)

I grabbed the holotape with the schematics and inserted it into my Pip-Boy. Then I got down to work, starting with checking the circuit boards inside the eyebot. I found one that looked a bit fried. According to the schematics, it was the one that connected the hover motor and the power supply to the eyebot's main motherboard. I noticed that the current condition of the circuit board was allowing the power supply to just barely trip the emergency distress beacon at an incomplete level, which explained why my Pip-Boy couldn't properly identify the signal and why it was so weak.

I carefully disconnected the circuit board from the eyebot and grabbed a new one. Then between using the schematics on my Pip-Boy and the damaged circuit board in front of me, I began to configure a new replacement circuit board. When it was complete, I carefully reconnected it inside the eyebot. After checking the rest of the circuit boards for damages, I moved on to working on the outer shell of the robot. Using some pieces of the scrap metal, I made some repairs to the outer shell of the eyebot. As I did this, I noticed that on the left side of the eyebot there was a license plate reading "2ED-E59." The numbers were more worn and faded than the letters, making the letters "ED-E" more visible. I decided that once this robot was fully functional, I'd name it "ED-E", or "Eddie" in reference to the license plate.

Once I finished the welding repairs and touched up some weak spots, I turned of the radio and plugged my Pip-Boy into the open port on the back of the eyebot. I ran a diagnostic test on the robot's systems, which revealed that the eyebot was now fully functional. I smiled to myself and activated the eyebot. I unplugged my Pip-Boy and closed the little hatch over the port as the eyebot began to boot up. Once it was finished booting up, the eyebot began hovering in the air and turned to me.

I smiled at it and said, "Hey there, my name is Y/N L/N. You're at Beacon Academy, in the Kingdom of Vale. I found you and fixed you." The eyebot let out a beep of appreciation and I replied, "No problem. Do you mind if I call you ED-E or Eddie?" He let out a happy beep in response. I chuckled and said, "Great. Do you by chance know how long you'd been out there?" ED-E let out a somber whirl, to which I replied, "That's okay. Obviously, whoever left you out there didn't care enough to bother trying to fix you. But I did care, so if you want, you can stay with me." He let out a cheerful whirl and I heard my Pip-Boy go off. I checked it and saw an up-to-date schematic of ED-E had been received. I smiled and said, "Thanks, Eddie. I can already tell that the two of us are going to get along perfectly. Now let's get this mess cleaned up and we'll go back to my dorm. I'm a solo team, so it'll just be the two of us." He let a few beeps in agreement.

After I cleaned up the small mess I had made, ED-E and I headed back to my dorm. Seeing as he was in an unfamiliar place with people walking around, ED-E stuck rather close to me. I could tell that he trusted me, but was still unsure about other people. Eventually we reached my dorm and went inside. ED-E flew over to the desk and let a few beeps. I looked at him and said, "Sure, go ahead. You need to make sure your software and database is up-to-date, I completely understand. I'm a Vault dweller who was under cryogenic stasis for nearly 60 years. I only recently thawed out, so I had to do exactly what you're doing." ED-E beeped in understanding and landed on the desk as he went into a hibernation type of mode. I smiled and thought to myself, Well, for an eyebot, he's very unique and quirky.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and enjoy us having ED-E now.
Master out.