Vol. 6 Ch. 34 Where Am I?

Your POV

I woke up in a hospital bed with a couple bandages on my arms. I looked to my left and saw my glasses sitting on a table next to the bed. I grabbed them and put them on. I then noticed that I still had my Pip-Boy and my vault suit on, but my extra leather combat gear, along with my weapon and my bag with ED-E's parts, were missing. I slowly sat up and saw my things sitting against the opposite wall of the room. I looked around the room and noticed that while it had the appearance of a room in a clinic, it had the familiar resemblance and looks of a Vault-Tec vault. But with the obvious lack of flickering lights, I knew that it couldn't be Vault 180. Whatever vault this was, its power generators were still functioning properly at full capacity. Taking in all this information made me have more questions than anything. Just then, I heard the sound of the hydraulic door to the room open and saw an older person with a Vault-Tec lab coat enter the room.

Noticing that I was awake, she said, "Oh, good. You're awake." I looked at her and said, "Who are you? Where am I? And how did I get here?" She closed the door and said, "My name is Dr. Skylar. I'm the doctor here in Vault 45. Our perimeter sensors picked up something a couple yards outside of the cave entrance to our vault door. We sent out a couple of our security guards to check it out and they found you out there, lying unconscious in the snow. They brought you in here and I tended to the couple wounds you had as your Aura healed the other ones." I nodded and said, "Vault 45? I didn't know that there were other vaults, let alone ones that were still operating." Dr. Skylar nodded and said, "I must say we were very shocked to see a vault dweller out there, especially one from another Vault. If you don't mind me asking, where exactly is Vault 180 located? And how is everyone holding up there?"

I sighed and said, "Vault 180 was located in the underground tunnels of Mountain Glenn. When everyone was forced into the tunnels for refuge from the Grimm, some families, including mine, were granted access into the Vault. However we were unknowingly tricked into entering Cryogen Stasis Pods. But last year, before the first semester at Beacon Academy began, my Cryopod opened due to a malfunction. I was the only lucky one. Unlike mine, all of the other Cryopods malfunctioned differently and their life support systems failed due to lack of power. It seems that when Vault-Tec was shutdown, nobody came back to the Vault to keep up maintenance and the power generator began failing after so long. I had been under Cryogen Stasis for roughly 60 years. I'm the only survivor of both Vault 180 and of Mountain Glenn." Dr. Skylar put her hands over her mouth and said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. We knew that the vaults were each having a social experiment done on them. Vault 45's experiment was to see if people would stay and flourish in an enclosed vault if given the option to occasionally leave for supplies." I nodded and said, "That explains why your vault is still in such good condition. Where exactly is this Vault located?"

The doctor replied and said, "Vault 45 is located a few miles outside of the city of Argus. The cave entrance is located in the side of one of the mountains, a few hundred yards beneath one of the railways for the Argus Limited." I nodded and just hoped that the others were okay. Then she said, "I hope you don't mind, but one of our engineers also recognized the broken eyebot in your bag. He was more than willing to help repair it." I smiled and said, "Wait, really? You can help fix Eddie?" She smiled warmly and said, "Yes. I assume that's his name based on the old license plate that was with his parts?" I nodded and said, "Yeah. I first found him in Vale and repaired him during my time at Beacon. He actually used to know my grandfather." She nodded and said, "Well, the engineer is in the workshop just down the hall." I smiled and said, "Thank you." She smiled and said, "Us vault dwellers got to stick together. Before you leave, make sure that you talk with the Overseer. I know that she also wanted to speak with you." I nodded in understanding and got up from the bed, grabbing my bag on the way out of the room.

When I reached the room labeled "Workshop", I opened the door and went inside. In the room, there were multiple workbenches with welding tools and soldering equipment. At one of them, I saw a man wearing a Vault 45 Jumpsuit with an apron tied to his front. I walked over to him and said, "Excuse me, but are you the engineer that Dr. Skylar mentioned?" The man turned around, revealing that he had a pair of welding goggles on his head, amd he said, "You're the Vault dweller that showed up here earlier. Yes, I'm the one who can help you fix this eyebot." I smiled and said, "Thanks, he's pretty much my best friend, especially since I fixed after I first found him. His name is ED-E or Eddie. He actually once knew my grandfather." The engineer smiled and said, "I had a feeling you had some type of strong connection with him, otherwise you wouldn't have been carrying with you." I nodded and said, "Yeah, my friends and I were helping defend Haven Academy, and Eddie intercepted a spear that was aimed at me." The engineer nodded and said, "I see, well then. Let's see if we can't bring your friend back. We might as well make a few improvements to his shell, too. I mean, if you're okay with that." I thought about it and said, "I think that'd be smarter to go that route." He nodded as he handed me a pair of welding goggles and we got to work on ED-E.

After a few hours of welding and constructing a much more protective and stronger eyebot shell, we did the final touches on ED-E and I plugged my Pip-Boy into the open port on the back of the eyebot. I ran a diagnostic test on the robot's systems, which revealed that the eyebot was now fully functional. I smiled to myself and activated the eyebot. I unplugged my Pip-Boy and closed the little hatch over the port as the eyebot began to boot up once again. Once he was finished booting up, ED-E began hovering in the air and turned to me.

After a brief second, ED-E let out a cheerful whirl of happiness, to which I replied, "Yes, I got some help to fix you

After a brief second, ED-E let out a cheerful whirl of happiness, to which I replied, "Yes, I got some help to fix you. You're good as new, plus your shell is much more enhanced and stronger now. I'll catch you up on what's happened since Haven in a bit." He let out a beep of understanding as I turned to the engineer and said, "Thank you so much." He smiled and said, "Don't mention it. Now you should probably go see the Overseer now." After I talked with the Overseer and explained my situation, she told me that there was a heavy blizzard outside and I'd be safer sleeping in one of the Vault rooms for the night. I thanked her for helping me with everything, then headed to the open residential room that she directed me too. I quickly explained everything to ED-E and caught him up with what he'd missed since Haven. Once I finished, I laid down on the bed and drifted off to sleep.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.