Vol. 5 Ch. 29 Known By Its Song

3rd Person POV

At the Branwen Tribe camp, Vernal poured cups of tea for Raven Branwen, Yang Xiao Long, Weiss Schnee, and Y/N L/N. They are all inside Raven's tent with the latter three seated around a table. Raven smiled in an amused manner as she got a clear view of the revolver on the Vault dweller's hip. Then she turned to Vernal and said, "You can wait outside. Thank you." Vernal does so as Yang asked, "So, what's the 'truth'?" Taking a sip from her cup, Raven said, "You know, it's better when it's hot." Weiss replied, "You know, you're really obnoxious." Raven responded and said, "The truth is that 'truth' is hard to come by. A story of victory for one person is a story of defeat for someone else. The last time this tribe had been truly able to get away with killing someone was roughly 80 years ago, and that was a story my parents used to tell Qrow and I. By now, your uncle has surely told Ruby and her friends plenty of stories."

Yang replied and said, "Well, he's never given me a reason to doubt him before." Raven answered and said, "That doesn't mean those reasons don't exist. You know, you and your teammates might as well be the poster children for the Huntsman Academies. Your motives vary, but you all enrolled to try and make the world a better place. It's adorable." Yang responded and said, "It's what Huntsmen and Huntresses do." Raven replied and said, "Not all of them. Some people are just in it for the money and the fame, but there's even more that are just looking to grow stronger. Your Uncle Qrow and I didn't attend Beacon to become Huntsmen, we did it to learn how to kill Huntsmen." Yang, Weiss, and Y/N gasped at this, exchanging a brief look with each other. Raven responded and said, "Daddy and Uncle left that part out, hm?" Raven began to pour more tea for herself as she continued, "Aside from the Grimm, Huntsmen were the only ones capable of ruining our raids and hunting us down. Our tribe needed a counterforce. And Qrow and I were the perfect age. The entrance exams were child's play compared to what we'd already been through. We were good. So good, that we caught the attention of Beacon's very own Headmaster, Professor Ozpin. Even after we were put on a team, I could tell he was keeping his eye on us. Back then, I thought it was because he knew, but it was Team STRQ he was interested in." Yang replied, "What do you mean by that?" Raven answered and said, "Constant attention, extra training missions, turning a blind eye whenever we happened to break the rules and get into more trouble than we should've. Sound familiar?"

Yang and Weiss shared another glance at each other. Weiss gestured Yang to keep going as she said, "What's your point?" Raven replied and said, "How much do you know about Professor Ozpin? About his past?" Weiss answered and said, "He was... a prodigy. One of the youngest headmasters to be appointed to a school." Raven replied and said, "Because that's how he planned it. Because the man you know as Ozpin designed those schools and has followers inside every academy on Remnant that are loyal to him and no one else." Yang responded and said, "That doesn't make any sense! How could he have...? No. Why would someone even do that?" Raven replied and said, "Because old man Oz has a great and terrible secret. One that could spread fear across the world. One that he eventually entrusted to our team, and once I knew, there was no going back. I needed to know more, but with every new discovery I made, the more horrifying the world became."

Yang responded and said, "Okay, then tell us. What's the big secret? What's so crazy that the rest of us don't know?" Raven answered and said, "The Creatures of Grimm... have a master named Salem. She can't be stopped, she can't be reasoned with, and she will not rest until Humanity crumbles at her feet." As she spoke, Weiss, Yang, and Y/N's eyes widened more and more. They sat in silence until Weiss broke it and said, "What?" Raven replied and said, "You know, you three haven't even touched your tea." Raven took another sip from her teacup, while Yang stood up and said, "Why should we believe any of this?" Raven replied and said, "Now you're catching on. So far you've done nothing but accept what others tell you, but you need to question everything." The three stared at each other face to face, before Raven turned around and said, "Otherwise you'll end up just as blind as Qrow and your fool of a father."

A shot from Ember Celica is heard, destroying the table. Raven's empty teacup clattered across the floor, stopping when it hit the heel of her boot. Raven looked toward Yang, faintly smiling. Yang's eyes have turned red as she said, "Don't you dare talk about my family like that!" While Yang spoke, Weiss stared up at her wide-eyed and flinched when she raised her voice for emphasis. A weapon was heard being drawn at Yang as Vernal said, "You need to calm down." Y/N placed his hand on Yang's shoulder as he said, "Yang, please." Raven then replied, "Listen to your boyfriend, Yang. Your teammates never let you down before." Yang replied and said, "You don't know the first thing about my teammates! About me! You were never there! You LEFT US!! Why?!" Her eyes then turned back to normal and she hung her head in sadness as she spoke the last word. Raven replied and said, "I know more than you realize. Not just about you, and not just what I've been told, but things I've seen with my own eyes. I know the Grimm have a leader, I know people who can come back from the dead, I know that magic is real, and I can prove it."

Weiss and Y/N stood up, while Raven continued addressing her daughter as she said, "You said Tai told you all about my Semblance." Vernal lowered her weapon while Raven headed toward the back exit of her tent and continued, "Well, I doubt he ever told you what Oz did to my brother and me." Raven exited her tent, while Yang, Weiss, and Y/N exchanged confused looks. Vernal spoke up and said, "Go see for yourself." Then Vernal left. The three of them take her advice and exit the tent. They saw no one there and Yang said, "Mom?" Weiss spoke up and asked, "Yang, are you okay?"

Your POV

Yang answered, "I'll be fine once we can get her to take us to Ruby." Weiss relented while Yang continued to look around and Weiss said, "It's okay if... you're not okay." Yang turned to Weiss and said, "You didn't believe what she said, right?" Weiss answered, "I... of course not. Well, not all of it. It was crazy. We have Dust, Semblances... But, I mean, there's no such thing as magic. What about you, Y/N?"

I shrugged and opened my mouth to reply, but I was cut off by a bird caw. We watched it fly in front of us and I said, "A raven?" Yang replied, "I've... seen that bird before." Weiss said, "Maybe it belongs to your mom?" The three of us continued to watch the raven fly in the dusk-colored sky. It descended, flying and weaving between the trees, before shapeshifting into Raven herself. Raven landed back on the ground on her feet, while Yang, Weiss, and I had shocked expressions as she stood back up. Yang asked her mom, "How... did you do that?" She answered, "Well, I could explain it to you..." Raven then drew Omen, slashing behind her, creating a portal with her Semblance. Then she continued, "...or you could ask your uncle." Yang asked, "You're letting us go?"

Raven replied, "I'm giving you a choice. Stay here, with me, and I'll answer all your questions and more. We can have a fresh start." Yang glared at her and Raven stepped to the side of her portal and said, "Or you can go back to Qrow and join Ozpin's impossible war against Salem, and meet the same fate as so many others. But can you really go back to trusting someone that's kept so much from you?" Weiss and I reacted timidly, while Yang just glared at her mother. Then Yang said, "All I care about is making sure my sister is safe." Raven replied, dissatisfied with Yang's response, "Ugh..." Then Yang and Weiss hopped onto Bumblebee and Weiss had her arms wrapped tightly around my girlfriend, while ED-E and I followed behind them However, before we could enter the portal, Raven addressed her daughter one more time, saying, "Yang. If you side with your uncle, I may not be as kind the next time we meet..." Weiss and I rolled our eyes and looked ahead. Then Yang said, "You weren't kind this time either." Then we proceeded through the portal as Raven muttered to herself under her breath, "So, the Courier that Dad told us about had a son?"

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.