Vol. 5 Ch. 31 The Battle Of Haven

Your POV

The full moon illuminated the night sky above Haven Academy. On the school grounds, Qrow led the rest of us followed close behind as we walked onto the school grounds of Haven. Ruby stopped and looked up to admire Haven's CCT tower, before following the rest of us to a nearby building. We entered the building and were greeted by Leonardo Lionheart, who was standing on a terrace at the top of the stairs that's being held up by a statue. Lionheart greeted us and said, "Why hello. Thank you for... coming." He noticed that there were more of us and said nervously, "There... seems to be more of you than last time." Then he let out a nervous chuckle. Qrow and the rest of us stopped to look up at Lionheart and Qrow said, "Eh, you know what they say, 'The more the merrier'. So what's going on with the council?" Lionheart then asked us, "Why... did you bring your weapons?" Confused, Qrow said, "What? Leo, we're Huntsmen. You okay?" Lionheart replied, "Of course! Of course, sorry. Just haven't had my evening coffee." Qrow rolled his eyes and said, "Look, it's nice to see you, but we got work to do. Are we getting support from the council or not?"

While the two of them talked, Yang noticed from the corner of her eye a black bird perched on a balcony railing and said, "Mom?" Everyone's attention was turned to the bird. It flew away just as Qrow shot at it, but missed. The bird flew down behind Lionheart, transforming into Raven Branwen, donning her mask. We all glared at her and Ruby said, "Raven..." Nora gasped and said, "They... they really are magic..." Taking her mask off, Raven said, "If you're going to shoot me, shoot me. That was insulting." Qrow asked, "What are you doing here?!" Walking down the stairs, Raven replied, "I could ask you the same thing. You've been scheming, little brother. Planning to attack your own sister." Qrow glared at Lionheart and said, "Leo... what have you done?!"

He started, "I..." Raven cut him off and said, "Leo did what any sane person would in his position─ he looked at all the information he had in front of him, assessed the situation, and made a choice. And it seems you all have too." Now angry, Qrow said, "You have the Spring Maiden." She replied, "I do." Qrow said, "Then hand her over and let's work together! We can beat Salem!" Raven simply replied, "All that time spent spying for Ozpin and you still have no idea what you're dealing with. There is no beating Salem!"

Ruby spoke up immediately and said, "You're wrong. We've done things that most people would call impossible, and I know the only reason we were able to do it is because we didn't do it alone! We had people to teach us, people to help us, we had each other. Work with us. At least I know we'll have a better chance if we try together. Please." Ruby held her hand out. Raven glared at it and said scornfully, "You sound just like your mother." Suddenly, Raven drew Omen and created a portal with her Semblance. From the portal, a fireball is launched and hits Ruby square in her torso. She lands several feet back and Yang and I yelled, "Ruby!" While Yang ran to her little sister, Cinder stepped out of the portal and said, "Hello boys and girls." She was then joined by Vernal, Emerald, and Mercury as they too stepped out from the portal. I glared angrily at them as Ruby said, "Cinder..." Cinder and her group lined up alongside Raven, while Ruby's group gasped. Mercury responded, "C'mon guys, is that any way to greet your old friends?" Yang and I both growled at him and Qrow said, "Everybody, stay calm."

Suddenly we heard the doors behind them open up, and I heard Oscar say, "Oh no..." I looked and saw a tall and muscular middle-aged man closing the doors behind him as he entered and said, "The White Fang is prepping demolition and securing the school grounds. No one's getting in, and no one's getting out." We all watched as he slowly approached us. Then we turned our attention back to Cinder as Weiss said, "This was all just a trap?" I nodded as I said, "So it would seem."

Qrow asked his sister, "Raven, tell me... how long have you been with them?" Mocking him, Cinder answered, "Aww, don't take it personally, little bird. Your sister was a recent addition. The lion on the other hand... Entrance into the Vytal Festival was a real treat, Leonardo's been sending Salem all sorts of information for a very, very long time. Isn't that right, professor?" Lionheart replied shamefully and said, "Stop it..." Qrow spoke and said, "It was you... you sit on the Mistral Council. You had information on every Huntsman and Huntress in the Kingdom, and you gave it all to her?" Lionheart responded, "I─" Qrow cut him off and said, "I couldn't find any of them, because you let her kill them!" Lionheart didn't say anything, only still having a sad expression on his face as Cinder replied, "Aw now, don't beat yourself up about it, Lionheart, I'm sure Tyrian and Hazel would've found them on their own eventually."

3rd Person POV

Jaune transformed Crocea Mors to its two-handler form and advanced forward. Cinder summoned a glowing scimitar and blocked Jaune's attack. Ruby goes to help him as she leapt into the air, but a chain wrapped around her and she was pulled to the ground by Emerald, who said, "You're not getting near her." Jaune was then pushed back by Cinder and the two began their duel. Yang ran forward to join the fight, but Mercury landed in front of her and said, "Hey there, Blondie. I'm thinking you owe me an apology for my leg, don't ya think?" Yang growled and used Ember Celica to propel herself forward. Jaune got back up and clashed blades with Cinder again. Ruby watched them fight but wa snapped out of her distraction by Emerald. She then transformed her weapon into its revolver forms and fired at Ruby, who twirled around Crescent Rose blocking Emerald's shots. As she did this, Ruby said, "Why are you doing this?! Salem's─" Emerald cut her off and said, "I don't care about Salem! But I owe Cinder everything. You want to fight her that bad? Be my guest."

Emerald then activated her hallucination Semblance, creating a wall of fire which Cinder emerged from and charged at Ruby. Suddenly, Cinder's form disappeared, while Emerald tripped Ruby. Ruby fired a bullet that narrowly missed Weiss, who was blocking Vernal's shots with Myrtenaster. Suddenly, Vernal appeared in front of her and landed a point blank attack that depleted Weiss' aura. Weiss let out a pained scream. Jaune heard this and looked in her direction as tears well up in his eyes. Cinder spoke up and said, "Are you going to let her die too?" Jaune replied, "Stop messing with me!" Cinder responded, "If that's what you want..." Cinder then ignited her scimitar, which was now fully coated in flames. Cinder and Jaune proceeded forward to clash. Ruby looked behind her and noticed this. She briefly thought back to the moment when Pyrrha Nikos died, and her eyes started to shine bright again as she said, "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

A bright light engulfed the area but died down when Ruby was knocked unconscious by Emerald. Suddenly, Cinder fell to her knees, holding her arm in pain. She looked up, and barely missed Jaune's attack as it chipped her mask that concealed the left side of her face. As Cinder moved out of the way, Jaune tripped and fell. Cinder got back up enraged, activating her Maiden power while doing so. She then stepped on top of Jaune to hold him down as she said, "Did you think you actually had a chance against me?! You?!!"

Jaune struggled to reach for his weapon while Cinder calmed herself and deactivated her Maiden power as she said, "You're just a failure with a death wish." Struggling, Jaune replied, "If I die buying them time, then it's worth it. They're the ones that matter." Cinder looked to Jaune's comrades as they fought against their respective foes. Nora jumped up attempting to bring Magnhild down on Hazel who grabbed it. He tossed her aside then used his arms to block Ren slashing with StormFlower. Mercury blocked Yang's attack then ducked under a shot and leapt back. He launched himself up but only hit the floor as she moved. Before smiling evilly as she looks back down to him, Cinder said, "You think so?" She then noticed Weiss get knocked back several feet away, and began to slowly proceed towards her while she conjured an obsidian spear. Jaune watched helplessly while Cinder continued to advance towards Weiss and he said, "NOOOOOOO!!!"

Cinder smiled even more as she threw the spear at Weiss, but frowned when the spear was shot down in mid-air. The shot was fired by none other than ED-E. However, as he readied for the next one, Cinder conjured up another one and threw it as well. ED-E went to shoot down this one as well, but was knocked out of the way by Emerald throwing one of her sickles at him. This second spear continued on its trajectory and it impaled Weiss through her abdomen. She gasped in shock as everyone stopped their fighting and stared in shock as well. The spear then disintegrated as Weiss went motionless and slumped forward. As this happened, Cinder threw another obsidian spear, this time at Y/N. But before it could reach him, it was intercepted. As Y/N turned to see who had saved him, he was in utter shock as he saw who it was.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Who do you think it was?
Master out.