39

Rae knew how her head was feeling messed up. She knew all she had been told was getting to her. She felt like everything was getting too much for her.

Rae didn't know what to do about the fact her mum said she wanted to get to know her. She knew that part of her wanted to.

But part of her was scared that it wasn't going to work out for her.

She knew how it was all messing with her head. And she just wanted to somehow make it work. She just didn't know if it was possible.

All she knew was that there was too much going on in her head. And she didn't know how much more she could deal with.

When morning came, she walked into the living room. Iain was there. He smiled as he looked to her. "Are you okay?" He asked.

Rae nodded and smiled. She sat on the sofa and sighed. "I'm so tired. My head is a mess over everything that's happened. And I just don't know how much more I can cope with," she said.

Iain sat with her and smiled. He pulled her into his arms. "I know it's hard. But you've got me. And you've got Lexi. She's your sister and she cares about you. I'm always going to be here for you. I promise."

"I know. I just... I feel like everything is getting too much for me. And I don't know how much more I can deal with. I wish my life was so much more simple," Rae mumbled.

Iain kissed her and smiled. "I know. It's going to be okay. I promise."

Rae looked to him. She cuddled into him. "I just want it to be simple."

***
Rae went into work. Lexi walked over. "I thought I should prepare you. Mum is here. She's applying for a job. Midwife."

"Oh. Okay."

Lexi smiled as she looked to her. "It'll be okay. I promise you that everything is going to be okay. She just wants to get to know you. I know you're struggling. But it'll be okay."

Rae shrugged and smiled. She had no idea what she was going to do. She looked to her. "I think I'm going to get to know her. I know it won't be easy. But I have to do it somehow," she said.

"I think she'll appreciate it more than you think. She feels bad for everything that happened. And I think she wants to make it right."

"I know. I just... it's hard. Knowing everything I've been through," Rae said.

***
Rae smiled as she saw Iain. He walked towards her. "Hey. I'm going out for drinks tonight with Cal. Will you be okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm thinking of asking my mum to come over. To get to know her. And vice versa. I just want my life to get more simple," Rae said as she smiled.

Iain nodded and pulled her close. Their lips met in a heated and passionate kiss. "I love you."

"Love you too."

***
Rae opened the door. She saw Kate there and smiled. "Hi. Thanks for coming."

"You're welcome. I want to get to know you too. You're my daughter as well. So I want that connection with you."

Rae looked to her and smiled. But she had no idea how it was all about to change.