Chapter Thirty-Eight

Turin's POV

I don't think my wolf has ever felt so content. Running through the forest with the girl I love clinging to me, knowing that she's safe. I just wished we weren't running towards more danger.

Finn fell asleep shortly after I started running, but I didn't mind. I liked listening to her quiet breaths, and the feel of her body relaxed against me. It showed me how much she trusted me, and I wouldn't take advantage of that.

We covered much more ground in the next couple hours as the sun set. What would have taken two days at Finn's pace we covered easily, and it put us much closer to Lonn pack territory. I guessed we would have another day of running before we made it back, maybe less. But my legs did eventually start to grow tired, and I slowed down to a jog. It was pitch black outside now, though my eyes adjusted to the darkness easily.

I jogged forward until I found a spot for us to stop and rest for a while. I was surprised Finn had stayed asleep the entire time, but I knew her body was still recovering from nearly dying. My blood had definitely helped her, but she still needed to take it easy and rest. I planned on putting her right back to sleep after getting some food in her.

As I stopped near a hollow of trees, I lowered myself to the ground and turned my neck towards her. I could just barely twist enough to reach her face, and I didn't hesitate to wipe a sloppy tongue over it. Finn's face had been peaceful while she slept, but the second she felt the slobber I covered in she jumped awake.

"Turin!" She complained, making a face as she wiped it away with the sleeve of the sweatshirt she was wearing. She slid herself off of my back, stretching our her arms as she let out a yawn. My wolf's affection for her was much stronger while shifted, and I couldn't resist the urge to nuzzle against her once she steadied herself on the ground.

I felt her flinch at the movement, and the gasp of pain she let out had me jumping away. I crouched to the ground and growled as I searched around us for what had hurt her.

"It's okay, I just forgot about it. It's still a little sore." Finn quickly told me, gesturing to the mark on her neck. She flinched again when she moved her neck, but quickly tried to hide it with a smile. She slipped the backpack off of her shoulders and set it on the ground between us before nervously looking around us.

I narrowed my eyes at the small mark, hating how it glared back at me. Everything about it made my skin crawl. My instincts fought against my feelings for her, telling me that she was clearly claimed and I shouldn't pursue her. I had the same war within myself two months earlier when I decided to leave, and I had let my instincts win.

This time, I knew better. I truly tried to give her and Cillian a chance, and ignore my own feelings. But as much as I wanted to give my friend the benefit of the doubt, I could never forgive him for crossing that line with Finn. He had gone too far, and destroyed the trust she placed in him and any loyalty I felt towards him. I didn't have to listen to him anymore, and I didn't plan on leaving him alone with Finn and giving him another chance to hurt her.

"Are you going to shift?" Finn asked me, her eyes still shifting around the little hollow of trees uncomfortably. I realized quickly that the fear I saw on her face was from not being able to see in the dark as well as I could. Where I could make out the area around us and know that it was safe, she likely couldn't see much further than a foot in front of her.

I nodded to her, instantly shutting my eyes as I forced my body to shift. My bones cracked and moved, and my fur disappeared, but it didn't hurt like it had when I was a kid. I had done it so many times now it was truly second nature.