He was coming home today

He was coming home today. My Reef. My boy. I knew Adin was just as excited as I to see Leonel again.

That sounded wrong, like I was excited to see Leonel. I mean sure, I was, I became friends with a Leonel over the course of a few months, but I was referring to Reef - the man I missed the most whilst he was away.

"Do we need to pick him up from the airport?" Maman asked, to which I shook my head.

"No, his car is there," I explained, watching her set out a circular cake with one candle and in neat writing 'congrats!' swirled across the top in edible ink.

"Maman, you didn't have to go to that extent," I grinned, dipping my finger in the left over green icing - emerald  to represent the Greenfield Vipers.

"Of course I did. That boy is a part of our family. He deserves to have something to look forward to," maman scoffed, adding finishing touches like chocolate or sprinkles before putting it in the fridge to wait for Reef's appearance.

"What time will he be here?" Maman asked, the tap running as she rinsed off every utensil used. I made my way around to help dry the objects and put them away in their respective drawer.

"About 2 hours, he's still in the sky," I told her, finishing up what we were doing.

"And how do you know that?" She asked, quirking an eyebrow up in question as she dried her hands on the tea towel beside her.

"Maps," I grinned, showing her my phone where his location was moving across the continent.

"I thought he's supposed to have flight mode on?" She asked, leaning a hip on the counter.

"You know Reef, he'll turn it off for 2 seconds to show everyone he's in the sky," he loved to do it, to just have everyone see on maps he was in the sky in a plane - half way across the country.

"Well when his plane crashes because he didn't turn on airplane mode, I'm not paying funeral costs," maman joked to which I fake gasped and rolled my eyes.

"Whatever, I'm going to wait up in my room until he arrives. Probably talk to Jules as well." I responded, already leaving maman in the kitchen as I made my way up to my room to do exactly as I mentioned.

I felt giddy with nerves, butterfly danced in my stomach as my hands became clammy. I was terrified. I had made the decision I would confess my feelings to Reef, I mean, you'd assume he felt the same way with the way he reciprocates my advances.

For fuck sake, the guy kissed me! If he ended up not admitting he liked me too, oh I'll have some words about it. But for now, I could only wait and dwell in my overthinking.

I tried to keep myself busy, whether that was redefining a curl with the curling wand, reapplying mascara to my eyelashes despite the other 7 coats I put on. I did anything to try and take my mind off the arrival of the boy I had found myself falling in love with. Falling in love with his amber eyes, his sun-kissed skin, golden energy, his humour that made me laugh with every word he said. He was perfect, and I wanted him to be mine.