Chapter 19: Tragedy

3rd pov:

"I like your spirit sister." Neteyam laughed, thinking back on the strange interaction a couple minutes ago as the pair walked onto the shore.

"I thought you might...dirty minded isn't she?"

"I think straight forward is more suitable."

Tsamera raised her eyebrows at him, "What? You meant what you said back there?"

"I don't lie." Neteyam smiled smugly, looking at the rest of the clan returning in a nonchalant manner.

"You really want kids?"

"Of course I do, I raised my siblings, life would feel incorrect without me raising someone, it's in my nature." He shrugged before looking at Tsamera's concerned face, "Did you not mean what you said back there?" 

"No, well...I don't know, I guess I've never really given kids a thought, but now my siblings are almost fully grown, I guess I do have to move onto the next chapter of my life, especially now that I have you. I'm just not sure if kids fit into that picture, I can't decide whether it's something I want or whether it's something I feel is a requirement for me to have a fulfilled life. As a woman, you're constantly told it's your duty in the world, and you are meant to love kids and want them, and I do love kids, like Tuk, but yeah I guess it hasn't really been something I've given much thought to. Do you want them like...now?"

"I mean, my mother got pregnant with me at our age, it's not unusual in the Omaticaya, but I'm not sure about what the normal age is here."

"It's around 17 to 19 too, pretty much immediately after you get your mate."

"Yeah, I get why you haven't thought of it much, I don't blame you, being the only sibling with a fucking clue is hard work, but for me personally, I thought about it every day, what my future family would be like, I want to be as good a Dad as mine is. My dad is strict sometimes, but that's only because he cares about us so much, he loves us a lot, he's the best. I can't wait to be that figure for my kids one day unless of course you decide you don't want them..." Neteyam's previous gleeful tone slowly faded to one of sadness as he was beginning to get the impression they were not on the same page in terms of family whatsoever, and his dreams of said family were at the possibility of never coming to fruition. Back home, everyone wanted kids as soon as possible, they were dying to start a family, but Mera wasn't sure she wanted any at all, and he would never force her or manipulate her into doing something she doesn't want to, especially something as big and life changing as having a child.

Neteyam was ready to have a child as soon as she gave the word, but that word was getting farther and farther away the more he thought about it.

"I'm not saying I definitely don't want them, I just need some time time to think about it...I'm sorry 'teyam." She frowned, guilt flooding her system, he did so much for her and now she couldn't help but feel like she was letting him down on the one thing he asked of her.

"No, don't be sorry, there's nothing to be sorry for. Take as much time as you need, I'll still be here, I'm ready whenever you are." He smiled at her, his eyes giving an earnest a genuine expression that made her trust every last word. "I love you, my beautiful Mera, and if you do decide to bless me with our own children one day I promise I won't love you any more or any different to if you decided to bless me with a lifetime of peace and companionship with just you." He leaned down, cupping her face and giving her a long kiss filled with affection, his lips clinging onto hers, desperate not to pull away.

Sometimes is frustrated Neteyam how much he loved her, like how was this possible, to love someone so much? How?

"Ew fucking disgusting." Lo'ak's obnoxious voice sounded behind the pair causing them to part and look at him, Tsamera rolling her eyes and Neteyam punching him in the shoulder. "OUCH, YOU BIG HEADED BITCH I CAME TO ASK YOU WANT YOU WANT FOR DINNER!" Lo'ak screamed as he clutched his assaulted shoulder in melodramatic agony.