Chapter 34: Fire

3rd pov:

"You did what?" Lo'ak's voice sounded from behind the pair, his usual playful tone was lowered to one of anger, no, not just anger, rage.

Spider's head whipped around, recognising the voice of his best friend, "L-lo'ak, let me explain-"

"I heard everything." Lo'ak spat through gritted teeth, "You're a traitor."

"I didn't think he would come back-"

"BULLSHIT. BULL. FUCKING. SHIT. YOU KNEW. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW? HE CAME BACK FROM THE FUCKING DEAD JUST TO KILL MY FAMILY AND YOU THINK JUST BECAUSE SOME RABID HUMAN THAT MIGHT BE RELATED TO HIM SAID OTHERWISE HE WOULDN'T COME BACK. EITHER YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT OR YOU'RE A SELFISH SON OF A BITCH." Lo'ak hissed, storming towards Spider, ripping is dagger from the sheath on his chest.

But Kiri stepped in between them, placing her hands on her brother's chest in an attempt to stop him "Lo'ak wait-"

"There is no wait Kiri, he's a traitor and he can't be trusted anymore, how do we know he hasn't been working with them, how do we know he didn't lead them right to us?" He seethed.

"Look at him Lo'ak! He's falling apart with guilt-"

"He's lied to us and hidden such a massive secret from us for this long, and you sitll think the bitch can't act? Get out of my way." Lo'ak growled, his eyes fixated on Spider, as though his gaze would hold the human boy in place so he doesn't run.

"NO! I won't let you hurt him Lo'ak, he's our best friend, we know him, we should give him the benefit of the doubt!"

"KNOW HIM? KIRI, THE SPIDER I KNOW WOULD HAVE LEFT THAT MOTHERFUCKER TO DIE, HE KNOWS IT TOO, LOOK AT HIM. YOU KNOW TOO DON'T YOU SPIDER, 8 MONTHS AGO THE SPIDER I KNEW WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THIS. HE WOULD NEVER BETRAY US."

"He's right Kiri, I've changed." Spider muttered, his eyes on the ground in shame.

"Pick your side Kiri, me, or the bitch I'm gonna kill."

"I-" But before Kiri could finish her sentence Spider took off running, he was guilty, undoubtedly guilty, and he needed to get out of there before Lo'ak caught him and Neteyam skinned him alive. Even worse, what if Neytiri got a hold of him.

"MOVE!" Lo'ak shoved his sister to the side taking off after Spider, ululating a war cry loud enough his family would hear in the tent, Kiri ran after the two of them to try and save Spider.

The whole family heard Lo'ak's cry, but only Neteyam knew what it meant, it was when Lo'ak needed help, the two brothers had come up with a system of morse code so they could speak without words in the case one of them was captured by the Skypeople.

The older brother's ears pricked up, a surge of protectiveness coming over him at the thought of Lo'ak being in trouble. He quickly removed the baby from his chest, gently passing it to Ronal before grabbing his bow and running out of the tent, yipping a cry into the wind as a response to Lo'ak, a confirmation.

His older brother was on his way.

Whenever Neteyam needed to be a warrior, it was like a switch flicked in his head, all compassionate sides of the boy left his body, in that moment, Neteyam was hunting for a threat, one he was thirsty to eliminate.

The eldest sibling sprinted out of the cave system and into the forest, branches and leaves whipping past his skin, an arrow already cocked on his bow as he ran.

Him and Lo'ak were simultaneously communicating through ululations, so the brother could find where his family was.

Neteyam swung up and through the trees, Lo'ak's sounds were getting louder and clearer and soon enough he caught sight of his two siblings running through the foliage.