Chapter 20: War

3rd pov:
Within 10 minutes or so the couple heard the sound of Illus speeding through the water towards them, the 4 clan leaders soon coming into sight.

Immediately upon recognising her sister Ronal let out a choked sob, swimming towards the two dead Tulkun.

"She was the composer of songs, she waited many breeding cycles to have this baby...what is this Tonowari!" She wailed, grasping onto the Tulkun's corpse.

Tsamera had no tears left in her body, she had no sorrow left to give to these Skypeople, now, now they would have to take her rage.

The girl swam around the back of the Tulkun and pulled out a red spear-like contraption.

"Jake!" She called for hi, the Olu'ektan swimming around to join her and inspect this device, "I am assuming you may know what this is?"

"A tracking device, its marks the next kill." Jake muttered taking the device, "We must get back to the clan, now!" He climbed on his Skimwing, the rest following him back to the village.

"Tonowari, call a clan meeting."

"Jake what is this thing you have found?" Tonowari asked him.

"You know how villages have been being burned around here, they're looking for us, right? This...this is their final solution, we must act quickly brother."

Tonowari nodded, running up to the top of a rock and blowing a large shell horn, signalling an emergency meeting, the Metakayina came pouring out from the ocean and their Maruis, dropping whatever they were doing to head to the large community shelter.

Once they were all gathered, Tonowari and Ronal began to speak.

"These Skypeople have done the unforgiveable, they have killed our brothers and sisters for too long, and now...now they bring their hunting here!" Tonowari shouted, eliciting growls and hisses from the crowd.

"WELL NO MORE! WE WILL HEAD OUT AND DESTROY THEIR SHIPS, WE WILL DEFEND OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS WHO CANNOT DEFNED THEMSELVES." He roared, the Metakayina stuck out their tongues and flattened their ears as they hissed, a menacing look on their faces that would be enough to send chills down the spines of their enemies.

"No! Wait, just stop!" Jake interrupted, his hands out to try and clam down the tribe, "You cannot attack the Skypeople, you will all die, many more Tulkun will die!"

"Please listen to my father, hear what he has to say, listen to him. Stay calm." Neteyam encouraged those around him, as he clutched the tracker in his hands, he was as angry as them, but he knew his dad, and he trusted him.

"We cannot sit around and do nothing whilst they slay our brothers, we will show these demons they cannot do as they please!" A clan member shouted, slapping his chest and thighs before eliciting a war cry.

"JUST WAIT PLEASE." Jake gestured for Neteyam to give him the tracker, the son obeying, Toruk Makto leapt up to the top of the rock and held the device in the air, silencing the crowd.

"THIS! THIS MARKS THEM FOR DEATH. YOU GO TO YOUR TULKUN AND YOU TELL THEM IF THEY ARE HIT WITH ONE OF THESE THEY ARE MARKED FOR DEAD, TELL THEM TO GO, GO FAR AWAY FROM HERE."

"We are not cowards Jake Sully, we will not run-" Ronal started.

"Listen to me, Ronal please, they will come and they will kill everything you love." HIs words caused the mother to raise her hand to her stomach instinctively.

"Protecting them, saving their lives, that's what matters, please, you must listen to me." Jake, looked to the tribe and finally Tonowari, his eyes pleading as much as his words.