chapter 35

"Rae, you got this!" Samuel encouraged her as she grunted loudly, "I don't got this. Samuel," she barely managed to get out between forced breaths. Letting the machine flop her arms back down as she leaned forward, out of breath.

"You only had like two more reps," he crouched to be in front of her, "you were doing great!"

She waved a hand in his face and narrowed her eyes at him, "this enthusiastic, bubbly gym dude version of you is making my muscles fail."

"Did you want me to be mean to you?" He asked her with a wide smile, his familiar workout headband pushing all of his hair from his face. Reminding her of how perfect all of his features were. "Now, I didn't say all that," she lightly laughed before gently patting his shoulder in his tight workout shirt.

"You're the one who asked to come with me," he reminded her before standing straight up again.

Rae's original plan was to just watch him workout. See him get all sweaty and hear his grunts. She knew it was incredibly perverted and yet she couldn't resist asking him to come. It wasn't like she never thought about working out. She wasn't active at all anymore and knew that needed to change.

She's more like a sedentary being now.

Snapping back, she watched as he was walking away to grab the wipes to clean the machine. Along the way, he was distracted by who Rae assumed was one of his friends. Uncomfortably damp from sweat, she now stretched lightly and grabbed a small paper towel to pat her forehead.

"Are you finished up your set?" A burly man asked her, standing at about her height. She eyed him, trying to figure out why someone built like him wanted to use the shoulder press, instead of deadlifting or bench press or something.

"Oh yeah, I just gotta wipe it down," turning to look for Samuel who was still holding the sanitizing wipes and was still laughing with the girl who was now posted up. Leaning hard on her hip and Rae took note of her perfect physique. "Ma'am?" the man snapped her from her glaring.

Apologizing profusely she focused and cleaned the machine. Slightly bending to clean everything she touched, as she turned to let him know he was all set, his eyes were laser focused on her current position. Quickly standing upright, she faced him, making it known that she was about to confront him.

"Thanks," he nodded, all patronizing before settling into the machine. Scoffing, she turned to where Samuel was standing, hoping he either noticed or heard to react with him. Until she saw that he was at the machine right next to the sanitizer, now spotting her as she bench pressed.

Rae felt the wetness and smelled the chemicals from the used paper towels she was now scrunching tightly in her fist. Looking down, she was confused as to why and how her fist balled up. Throwing the wipes away, she shook her head and went back into the locker room to wash her hands.

Unable to resist looking up in the as and no one else was in there, she was focused on her body in the reflection. Now comparing it to the girl's insane figure who was still probably with Samuel. "She's literally half my size."

She sounded defeated and on top of that, confused.

She wasn't sure what emotion she was feeling, although was positive that comparing herself to others was bringing her 10 steps back when it came to overcoming her insecurities. Rae was just feeding them and helping them grow in this moment.

Just feeling overall bad about herself now especially knowing it was entirely her fault, made her want to leave. She didn't want to be at the gym anymore.

Going towards her locker she started taking her stuff out. Deciding on faking a work call or a call from her family, she began running to the options to tell him.

Rae genuinely wanted Samuel to enjoy his time in the gym and not have to worry about training her.

Adjusting the strap on her shoulder bag, she excused herself past a few other people to go back into the gym area. Instead of seeing Samuel with the girl she saw him with earlier, he was nowhere to be seen near her. Rae only took a few steps out of the entryway to the locker room to look around before turning to the right and seeing him waiting for her.

His eyes take Rae in, noting her change of clothes before landing on her face. The way he stood there with his arms still crossed, she wasn't sure what to make of his current emotion. All he did was barely tilt his head, making it clear that he wasn't going to speak first.

Taking a couple steps towards him to try and salvage some privacy in there impending conversation, she forced a smile.

"Hey, so my supervisor just called about one of my cases. Apparently I did something wrong or something so I gotta head out. I'll um- text you," her fake smile easily detectable by him.

"It's like 6 and you told me you never once had to talk to them on the phone." He fired back at her, still not uncrossing his arms making Rae look at the gesture.

"I uh- I still have to go because they called that's why I went in the locker room," as she was making stuff up, his expression just let her know he was believing none of it, "are you upset with me?"

Last minute, hail mary she tried desperately to turn the tables.

"You just disappeared and are lying to try and ditch me," he stepped closer, leaning over, "so I'm not feeling great," Rae cleared her throat and awkwardly rubbed her neck knowing most people who walked by were eavesdropping. "I'm not lying," she half laughed, knowing she was incriminating herself the more they spoke.

"I'm gonna go get changed so we can leave together." He emphasized only uncrossing his arms when he turned to walk towards the men's locker room.

Feeling like she was just scolded, Rae plopped on a metal chair towards the entrance. Looking through the tinted windows, her mind was non-stop racing. "Sam! You're heading out already?!" A high-pitch voice invaded her ears and it was as if her head turned 360° like the exorcist. Focusing on their interaction, Samuel's body still faced where Rae sat only a few feet away while his face was directed down at the girl. In her matching bra and biker shorts set. "Yeah we've got a decent workout in and she's gotta go."

Why were her brown eyes now narrowed at the girl he was speaking to?

She was so focused on the girl now brushing her hair behind her ears and stepping to stand closer to him. Taking note of all of the signs that she wanted him... Samuel unknowingly sneaking a glance over at Rae before smirking and covering his mouth.

"That sucks! We need to meet up again, I love our gym meets," the girl added, "I've missed you." She went in for a side hug, now turning to see Rae as she stood up from the chair. Significantly taller than the girl too before giving her a fake smile. Getting the hint she said goodbye to him only as she resumed her workout.