chapter 45

"So Rae, you're almost done your Masters too right?" Kim asked as they all thoroughly enjoyed their time together so far. Finishing up their meals while John and Samuel were talking about a new museum installment.

"Yes, I'm actually gonna be finishing up during the Summer. I work full-time, so I had to take 2 classes less than the requirement."

"Huh, that's impressive. Good for you," the way Rae was staring at Kim, she knew she could easily cry. Having a mother express how proud she is was something Rae lacked severely. Not only from her own mother but from both of her parents as well. "Thank you so much, that- that really means a lot to me," Rae nodded respectfully, trying to stop herself from getting emotional. Kim placed a reassuring hand on hers from across the table, taking note of her body language and the inflections in her voice, "I just know you're going to do great things!"

She gave her the widest smile in return and thanked her profusely. Kim waving her off before they all joined the conversation together to relive some of Samuel's childhood memories. Rae soaked in how embarrassed Samuel got as they told the stories of his childhood, what his childhood bedroom looked like in each place they stayed and the beginning of his all-black phase.

"Excuse me, I just have to use the restroom," Rae found a lull in the conversation and got up with ease as she maneuvered towards the bathroom, assuring Samuel she was fine to go alone.

John making sure she was no longer within ear-shot before they began. "She's wonderful!" They said in unison, "are you happy? How has it been going? Have you been seeing anyone else, you better not have. Did you guys discuss your future? Marriage? Kids? Living together?"

"Stop. Stop, please!" Samuel somehow managed to stop the slew of questions they bombarded him with. "Have you met her parents yet? Last I remember she had a couple siblings right?" Kim stopped him from trying to tell them what to do.

"She hasn't really mentioned them much... should I ask?"

Both Kim and John giving one another a look. Thinking back on the time when her parents were publicly fighting at her graduation and forcing her to leave early. "Well, maybe just try to start the conversation about them naturally. Like how her relationship is with them and then possibility ask to meet them? Especially after meeting us today, it will seem normal to bring it up." John offered, making Samuel nod to contemplate it.

"I told her I loved her," he blurted after making sure she still wasn't heading back yet. Knowing they would be dramatic about his confession.

"Oh Sammy! That's great!" John added, his eyes beginning to water as Kim tossed a napkin his way, "how'd you do it? Why didn't you call us?!" She inquired with a hard tone, "what did she say?"

"It happened about a two hours ago, uh before we got in the car with you guys."

Their genuine reactions making Samuel nervous as they haven't been this quiet his entire life. "Um usually, son... you kinda say that after meeting the parents and stuff. Definitely not minutes before doing something. So you can both really enjoy every second of saying it for the first time."

John's rant being backed up by Kim as she was nodding.

"She actually just told me about the timing outside," Sam laughed, "I just have wanted to say it for a while, I was really, really nervous."

"Nervous?" Kim asked, not seeing him so awkward since he was a child.

Samuel anxiously looked in the direction of the bathrooms, surprised to see that she wasn't back yet. "I don't know, I felt like I was maybe rushing things and that she wouldn't feel the same way about me."