chapter 57

"I'm telling you, I could feel the tension," David gossiped to Dahlia on the phone, "you know I was right next to them... and one thing imma do is listen in on a conversation, they know that."

Dahlia laughed as she walked down the sidewalk towards her apartment, "when I ask her about him, she barely says anything though. I can never tell if it's because she's trying to move on or if she's stuck on him."

"We both know they're stuck," David yelled too loudly, making Dahlia flinch, "I told you he hasn't even tried to date. I was asking him over and over and over."

"What if we took them out?" Dahlia had an evil grin on her face as she unlocked their door.

"To the same bar?" David's expression matched perfectly.

"Yessir."

Their laughs syncing perfectly as they immediately texting their friends telling them to get ready to go out at the end of the week.

———

"I told the kids I'd see them this weekend remember?" Rae said to Dahlia as she continued getting ready.

"Of course but you said you'd see them Saturday, today is Friday."

"Friday night."

"Yes you have all night, to drink with me and then you'll have all Saturday to spend with the kiddies."

Rae rolled her eyes, "I'm not drinking much."

"That's fine!" Dahlia clapped her hands excitedly, then offering to do her makeup as they got ready to leave. Meanwhile Samuel was busy trying to call a cab for them as David pregamed too hard.

David was half faking, making sure Samuel was not suspecting anything was up. He had a habit of knowing when he was scheming, and thankfully being drunk while heading out was his normal. Samuel had no clue him and Dahlia schemed together.

The bar was full already by the time they got there. Samuel immediately headed to get them drinks to which David nodded, following behind him as he secretly texting Dahlia that they were there.

She ain't tryna pregame dude. Help.

Dahlia's text making David nervous, thinking both of them needed to be somewhat tipsy.

Try to make her relax about whatever tf she's worried about. Idfk.

Sucking her teeth, she put her phone away, "listen, it's been too long since we had a night out. You can do things in the afternoon with them tomorrow, I just wanted to have a good, drunken time with my bestie."

Rae looked at her puppy dog eyes which worked all too well. Finally agreeing, she took two shots back to back, Dahlia cheered her on before she poured more. An hour went by before they finally showed up at the bar. David was the first to spot them as he immediately went to Samuel to go further out of their line of sight.

Both of them ordering and sipping on drinks while Rae held Dahlia's hand to follow her towards the opposite end.

"Water?" The bartender asked specifically eyeing Rae as she leaned on Dahlia for support.

"Yes and a red bull and vodka for me please." She sighed, realizing now, she should've stopped Rae instead of cheering her on like a psycho. Turning her head, David was too obvious in trying to get her attention, making Samuel look down at him.

Quickly spinning, he eyed him, "you're not drunk?"

"Not really. Why? Do you want me to be?" His suspicious eyebrow making David fake laugh obnoxiously loud.