chapter 42

Samuel stopped and went rigid. Dahlia went to speak and closed her mouth at the way he now towered over Gabby.

"Don't think I will ever forget what he looks like or his name. He hurt her," his voice deeper than ever as he barely whispered, "and I know there will be a time and a place where I'll see him... when that happens? I'll handle him myself."

Gabby didn't know what to say as she swallowed loudly. Dahlia reached over gently to lightly push them apart. Sensing some other tension building quickly and before either of them cooled off, Gabby spoke again with narrowed eyes, "you're in love with her, aren't you?"

"Where the fuck did that come from?" Dahlia asked, barely able to wedge herself between them. Turning to Gabby who ignored her once again, "cause only someone in love could be this pissed off and rational about what's best for them."

Samuel snapped at her, why would I tell you anything? Weren't you the same person who, not that long ago, weaponized her experience with Michael? You literally threw it in her face right in front of me."

Her demeanor entirely different as she turned away. Dahlia adding in giving her a disgusted look over her shoulder, after a couple minutes of silence, they were both sure Gabby was holding in whatever she wanted to say as she furiously bit down on her bottom lip.

"She forgave me and we've worked on our friendship." Gabby barely got out through gritted teeth.

"Well I didn't," Samuel shot back, "you're a fucking bully who Rae thinks she can help."

"Sam... cmon," Dahlia now focused on him, "relax."

He pointed a finger directly at Gabby, "if I find out you've said another nasty thing about her, I'll do everything in my power to make sure she never speaks to you again and you'll be alone."

Gabby believed every word he spoke as she watched him walk back towards Rae's room. Now using the methods her therapist told her to calm down. Dahlia ran her hands through her hair and groaned loudly. Exhausted from all of the tension and pain floating through the air.

"Just to be clear," Samuel stopped and got both of their attention immediately, "I have no issues with you Gabby... I even appreciate you trying to go after him but she needs us more than I need to find him."

He could see and hear her still counting backwards from 20. Her deep breaths accompanied by a few nods to acknowledge him words as she went to the living room to further calm down and go through her steps.

When Samuel entered the room, he was surprised to see Rae sitting up with her arms crossed. The glare nearly lethal as he closed the door behind him. "She's been trying, I told you that."

"I know," he nodded, annoyed with her tone as he headed towards where she sat. "I don't think I was mean."

Rae continued to glare at his side profile. "you threatened her."

Samuel swiftly kissed the top of her head, momentarily distracting her as she blushed. "Just promise me you'll a little nicer to her... she helped me today when I needed."

"Promise."

His arm swung to hang around her shoulder, trying to pull her closer to him, "how're you feeling?" She winced as she tried to shrug, "my shoulder still kinda hurts," she laughed lightly.

Samuel gently pulled at her collar to look, definitely now looking at more than her shoulder in her bralette. Rae realized and swatted his hand away playfully with a small laugh.

Feeling much better and a lot more calm, they decided to leave the room. Dahlia smiled brightly at both of them.

"Not gonna lie, it's strange seeing Gabby in our place but it's kinda nice," Dahlia added to lighten the mood as she began frosting the cake she baked.