chapter 49

"Everything ok?" Samuel asked her, eyeing her every movement and reaction as Rae smiled normally at him.

Nodding her head as she took the water and drank almost the entire cup.

"Thirsty too?" He chuckled lightly at her while she set it back down. Both of her hands now holding his face, making him look up at her while he sat in front of her on the edge of her bed.

"Not anymore, I'm just hungry." She continued to look at him, her words having no emotion in them making him worry. "I don't wanna talk about it," she shook her head, "this is nice, let's not mess it up."

Samuel sat on her words for a moment, unable to look into her eyes as hers were busy just staring at his features, the grip on his face tightening slightly making his hands cover hers, "I'm here for you. You know that right?"

Rae nodded with a smile, snorting out air at the idea of her high school crush turned unofficial, official boyfriend having more empathy and care for her than her entire family.

"I'm gonna put a bra and pants on so we can go out to eat," Samuel watched the words leave Rae's mouth only for her eyes to lock onto his in horror, "wait Samuel, your- your family day with your parents? It's like 2 something!" Samuel quickly grabbed both of her wrists as she tried to scramble.

"I already called them this morning, they ended up changing the entire day to do couple's stuff," he laughed as he leaned over to pull up a picture they sent of them in front of a helicopter, "even did a
helicopter tour without me." He playfully shook his head as Rae laughed lightly.

"They're cute," she smiled down at him.

Samuel desperately wanting to ask about her parents but decided now might not be the best time to bring it up. If she did just have a fight with her family, the last thing he wanted was to make her more upset or stressed in the slightest over it.

"I feel bad still," she confessed, "we should take them out to dinner or something?"

"They're probably exhausted from today and they're leaving tomorrow."

Rae looked somewhat defeated, "did you tell them I'm sorry too?" Samuel lied and nodded his head, hoping that made her feel better even though none of them harbored any bad feelings about the day, "I know! I can send them some fruit or maybe order them room service in the morning."

"Relax," Samuel laughed now at her, holding her hands in his, "my mom will literally not accept anything. We can just make a surprise trip to visit them and she will be happy for the rest of the year."

"You sure?"

"Positive," he reassured her, making her trust him as she nodded. Now stopping the thoughts that were running rampant about how much his parents now disliked her.

The familiar wave of sadness began hitting her again. The conversation with Samuel placating it momentarily as she gently removed her hands to turn and go through her drawers for clothes.

"Why don't we go get some food to go and sneak it into the movies?" She asked him without looking, still searching for the most comfortable bra to put on. Not expecting to turn and see that he left the room for her to get dressed.

Samuel waited for Rae while he sat on a stool. Trying to distract his sleuthing of what the reason her siblings called her so many times and how different her mood seemed. Setting his phone down, he told himself repeatedly that she will tell him, he shouldn't push her too far.