XLI

"Seonghwa, do you mind if I just sleep here tonight?" Sieon asked as she had dinner in her house with Seonghwa.

"Why would I mind? I just don't want you to be uncomfortable, that is why I said that I would sleep at my house."

Sieon shook her head and looked at him nervously, "Actually… I still can not sleep."

His brows furrowed, "But I thought you were alright," his face showed genuine concern, "Even ma told me –"

She cut him off, "I lied. I pretended to be asleep so that ma will not be worried."

He was taken back by the sudden confession. He put his utensils down, "So it never stopped?"

Sieon's silence was affirmative, making Seonghwa look around as he paused for a moment, then he sighed, "Sieon, I'm not asking you to come live with us, but at least come with me so I can take you to a good doctor–."

"Two years ago when I last visited you, ma took me to not one, but three doctors. And that's not it, I've been taken to countless doctors in the past years and I had taken a lot of medication for it as well, but you know why it never worked? Because this is a psychological issue and this is the same thing every doctor has said as well."

Seonghwa pursed his lips, "We are worried for you Sieon."

"And I don't want to worry you all anymore," she placed her hand over his reassuringly, "So please, don't tell ma and uncle about this. Okay?"

He paused for a moment before nodding and motioned her to eat her food.

"I have slept a few time," Sieon broke the silence after she finished her food.
She remembered the times San was with her; the time she actually fell asleep.
"It happened suddenly, and for a short while, but I did sleep."

"That's…good to hear."
He nodded and pursed his lips, "You're a big girl now, Sieon. I trust you, and I know you can take care of yourself well. But whenever things get hard or you feel lonely just know, that your family is always there for you. I am, Ma is and so is Dad."

Sieon smiled back and nodded, feeling at ease now that she had told the truth to her brother as well.

She spent the night awake, as usual, while Seonghwa fell asleep fairly quickly because he was tired.

The next day they spent together, chatting and joking around, talking about new things he learned or she discovered. Seonghwa also cooked for her.

And then the next day, he went to meet some more people while Sieon went to work.
She had to complete the scarf too.
Which she gave to Seonghwa the following night.

His smile told a lot about his happiness even if he didn't say a word.
"I'm so proud of you, Sieon," he lightly squeezed her hand, "Thank you."

Sieon grinned, feeling ecstatic. But then she looked up so stop her tears from flowing, "Why are you leaving tomorrow?"

"Why are you crying so much?"

"I don't know," her tears ending up spilling and Seonghwa hugged her.

"Why do I feel like you're, disturbed?"

Sieon pulled back and shook her head, "Actually just days before you came, I had been thinking about you, Ma and uncle. And I felt bad because I think ma is still upset with me."

Seonghwa shook his head, "Ma can never be upset with her daughter, and you know it. So stop overthinking and take care of yourself."

She nodded and helped Seonghwa pack the few belongings he brought with him.

"…I met Uncle Go as well, he wanted a favour from me,"

"Uncle Go… Jihee's dad?" She revised.

Seonghwa nodded, "Don't tell anyone yet, but Munhee is going to get married soon. And her soon-to-be husband works in the city."

"Ahh, so he wanted to ask about him?"

He nodded again.
"I met the new villagers too."

"Really?"
Sieon didn't realize, but her eyes lit up and Seonghwa noticed.

"They are really nice, didn't let me pay when I had lunch with them."

"You had lunch with them? All three of them?"

Seonghwa couldn't help but laugh, "Yes. And they also seem to be your friends."

Sieon awkwardly laughed at her eagerness then nodded, "They all are amiable so it was easy getting along with them."

"I'm glad to hear that," he put his bag on a side, "That you didn't fight with anyone and you also seem more social than before."

Sieon gasped, "When did I fight with any–"

"I think you're forgetting about Yuna,"

Sieon rolled her eyes at the old memory and both if them had a good laugh talking about it.

"Do you, like anyone?" Seonghwa asked.

"What?" Sieon turned to look at him, her eyes now adjusted to the dark, "I thought you were asleep."

"I can sleep later, I want to talk to you,"
The house went silent again.
"Do you, Sieon?"

"I don't," she denied firmly.

"Oh."

Sieon could practically feel the sharpness of the silence especially when she knew Seonghwa was still awake.
"What made you suddenly think that I like someone?"

"I don't know… maybe it's because of what someone else told me, or maybe because I can think Ma would think of your marriage before me."

"Time had passed by so quickly… my friends are getting married. But I don't think of my marriage you see," she was hesitant of what to say.
"And, what do you mean by ‘someone else told you’?"

They both looked at each other and Seonghwa smiled, "I'm talking about San."

"San?"

"I think he likes you," he still had that slight smile.

Sieon looked away, "No way, why would he like me."
She lied, and thought about the time San confessed to her,
"Besides, what difference it makes if he likes me."

"It matters, because he seem to know a lot about you. I'm a good judge of character Sieon, and I felt like you are fond of him too."

Sieon wanted to laugh, to tell him to stop joking, and that it was untrue.
But in reality, she didn't know herself. Weather the feelings she had for San were something more than friendly.

A few minutes –which felt like hours, passed in silence.
And Seonghwa broke the ice again, "You have always been an independent young girl, Sieon. So don't ever be afraid of speaking your mind for the right. It's your life, and you have a right to make decisions for yourself."

"Everyone has a choice of their own. They can make their own decisions because it's their life."

She finally got to courage to look at Seonghwa who was looking at her.
He was in one corner of the room and she was in the other. She smiled at him and nodded once, his smile too, assuring her that he will always be there for her.

a/n: Y'all, do look forward to next few chapters  ;)