Chapter 1

Olivia's POV

Regret is the most painful feeling life can hand you. I don't regret many things in life, but sometimes I wish I could go back and change how I acted in certain situations.

Actually, maybe I do regret one thing. Meeting her was the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me.

A knock on the door snaps me out of my thoughts. The door opens and Jasmine peaks her head in.

"You're still here, Doctor Woods?"

I smile and get up gathering my stuff. "Not a doctor yet, Jasmine."

Jasmine is one of the nurses at the hospital I'm interning for. I graduated college one year early, so I'm 21, interning in a hospital. I didn't want to go to med school right away, and with my parents' connections, I was able to land this internship.

I wanted to feel out how the job is going to be before fully committing to it and going to med school.

"You will be one day though."

I smile again and walk out of my office with her. "We'll see. I'll see you tomorrow."

She waves bye, and I do the same. I walk past everyone at the reception without looking at them. I've had a long day, and I just want to go home.

I quickly go towards the parking lot and get in my car. I have a Mazda CX-30. To be honest, I didn't pay a dime for it, my Mom got it for me as a graduation gift.

Since I work till late at night, there isn't a lot of traffic on my way back home. So it doesn't take me long to make it home. I look to check if my parents' car is outside. Mama usually parks in the garage, and Mom outside. Mom's car is gone, so I'm guessing they went out together with her car.

I moved back to live with them two years ago when everything in my life went wrong. I just needed to come back and be with my family. I spent most of my time in Italy. I even graduated college there, but at some point, it all became too much.

I sigh and get out of the car. I walk to the front step and put my key in, and open the door. I take off my coat and drop it on the chair next to the door, then I make my way to the living room.

"Where are Moms?" I ask Carter when I see her laying on the couch watching a movie.

She looks back since I'm behind the couch and gives me a smile, "Date night, I think. They were gone when I came home from school."

Carter is my sister. Half-sister, to be specific, but she never feels like that. She's 18 and a senior in high school. I'm only three years older than her.

I plop down on the couch next to her. She looks at me again, and then reaches for the remote, pausing the movie.

"I have something to confess," she says. I immediately groan. Carter is a troublemaker. She takes after Mama. There is always something mischievous that she is up to. She can't keep herself out of trouble.

"Did you kill someone?" I ask.

She sits up straight on the couch, "It's worse than that."

I frown, "Oh God, what did you do now?"

Carter gets up from the couch, and makes me follow her. She stops at the garage door, and then slowly opens it.

I turn on the light. "What? I don't see anything unusual."

She points at Mama's car, and I squint. When I realize that the side of the car is dented and scratched, I gasp.

"What the hell did you do?"