Prologue

Your average twenty-four-year-old girl would be just out of college or still attending. Not this twenty-four-year-old girl. Then again, "average" is not a word commonly used when referring to me. That luxury was never in the cards for me. I suppose it could have been at one point, but that card and much more were ripped out of my hand.

You see, on July 5, 1985; five days shy of my seventh birthday, I was abducted by a middle-aged man. I would later come to know him as Bill Wilson. My mother and I were in my favorite toy store at the mall, the Disney princess' aisle more specifically. I had been begging my mother for an ice cream cone nonstop this past half hour, but also refused to leave the aisle. Her patience had worn thin by the time I asked her for the thirtieth time, and when I asked her the fiftieth, she gave up.

With a hand on my shoulder, my mom crouched down in front of me. Her crystal blue eyes sparkled as she tried to get eye contact with me, but I was too busy appraising the dolls behind her. "I need you to stay here, Rosie. Don't leave this aisle, and don't talk to anyone that looks strange. I'll be back in no more than ten minutes." I nodded along with her words, not processing or even really hearing anything she had told me.

With a nod to herself and a deep breath, she left me in the aisle, looking back at me every few seconds until I was out of sight. I rushed the shelves and got my hands on a Cillerenda doll that begged for my attention.

Not even five minutes passed when a middle-aged man approached me looking panicked. His salt and pepper hair stuck up in all directions as his eyes wildly flicked around the store before landing on me.

"What's wrong mister?" I asked as I took a step towards him.

He gave me a sad smile and exhaled deeply. "My daughter has run off." He looked at me and seemed like he got to thinking. "You and she seem a lot alike. Do you think you can come with me to find her? Maybe give me some ideas of stores you like so I can check there?" His expression was one of hope and it made me want to help, and if there was one phrase drilled into my brain more than any other was to never go anywhere with "stranger danger".

I bit my lip for a moment and hesitated to answer. "I really shouldn't. My mom is getting us ice cream, she should be back soon." I said as a smile found its way to my face at the thought of my ice cream that was sure to come.

The man smiled at me and looked like he had just remembered something."Oh! I forgot to mention that I already asked your mother. I told her I would get you right back and I would pay for your ice cream." With a slight smile, he took a step towards me and extended his hand for me to grab.

I looked at his hand and got to thinking. This man looked like a good person, he didn't look like "stranger danger" with his long jacket and a funny hat. In fact, he vaguely resembled one of my friend's dad. "If my Mom said it was okay, then I will help you." I grabbed his hand and stepped up to his side and got to thinking. "My second favorite store is the Disney store. Mom takes me there all the time, but I'm not sure I know the way."

His grip on my hand tightened. "Oh, that won't be a problem."

After a while of walking, I couldn't shake this bad feeling I had, and it wasn't helped when we reached a part of the mall I had never been to before. It was significantly less crowded.

"Uh, mister I think we are going the wrong way. These stores don't look familiar." He ignored me but started to walk faster. "Mister?"

I pulled my hand back trying to make him stop walking, but I was far too small. In one quick motion, I was picked up while he placed his hand over my mouth. No one could hear my muffled cries for help, I knew that, but I didn't stop. I fought hard as he backed up into a door with an "Employees Only" sign. Turns out it was a seldom-used loading dock with one of the gates already open. A limo waited outside with men in black suits everywhere, one of them had gloves on and a syringe in his hand.