Chapter Eighteen- Fiery Reminder

~Rose~

Why me?

                Why me?

                                Why me?

You know that moment when you ask yourself a question but come up blank so you ask yourself again? Yeah, well that’s what has been happening to me since our ride home, even while we cooled down the horses. Jeff and I walked hand in hand, as always there was a jolt of pleasure and excitement that came with his touch. I lead him to the island in the kitchen and sat him on one of the three stools.

“What are we doing?” Eyebrows raised, Jeff asked this with his tone conveying tangible confusion.

“Well… I am going to make dinner while you sit there… also could you turn on the T.V?” I turned on my heel and began to collect the supplies I would need to make spaghetti.

Hello I am Jane Dawson coming to you live from Raleigh, North Carolina. I am at the site of what appears to be an exploded home.” As she the news caster spoke it was the last sentence that got me to turn around. 

“This home exploded last night and until now we were only able to give a vague report. Police say this MAY be connected to the Wilson crime Family, as this was until recently, their old captives home.” I dropped the spaghetti box I held and it exploded on the floor. My heart rate began to quicken and I started to feel faint, but I needed to know more.

Police found a note stapled to a tree on the property, it read ‘You cannot run from me Rosie… Love, Tyler’. At age SIX a beautiful young girl named Rosabella was taken from the mall by Bill Wilson,” as she said this, my kindergarten picture appeared on the screen; this was the photo my parents used for my missing persons warning.

Young Rosabella was brought into the crime live as one of the ‘wives’. The job of a woman who is married to one of the crime family member is to be servants. We later found out that Bill Wilsons WIFE was abducted by his father to be his wife, same with the generation before that, and the generation before that. In a smaller portion of the Gypsy community this is a tradition but is not practiced anymore, or so we thought.”

Jeff moved from where he stood and lowered himself to my figure that was crumpled on the floor. “Rose, take deep breaths.” He asked while he cleared the hair from my face. Until he said that I wasn’t very aware of the fact that I was hyperventilating. However as much as I tried I couldn’t stop and I started to worry.

“Rose, you are having a panic attack, you need to calm down.” He said from where he sat against the cabinets he pulled me into his lap. “Try to match your breaths with mine.” I leaned forward, rested my head on his chest and listened for his heart beat.

Thump, thump.

                                Thump, thump.

                                                                Thump, thump.

My heart rate began to slow at the sound of his strong and steady heart; slowly my breaths began to match his. “Thank you.” I said lowly before I kissed his neck.

~Jeff’s POV~

Would she be mad that I knew of the explosion? I fought with myself on whether to tell her or not but I didn’t even come up with a definite solution when she frantically asked me a question.

“How could we not have known?” She asked as her deep green eyes brimmed with tears. “That was my home. What if we didn’t leave? How could we not have known?” she ran her hands through her hair and looked up at me as if I had all of the answers. However, I could not look her in the eye because I had in fact known.