Chapter One- Awkward Introduction

My feet pounded against the linoleum floors that lined the dark hallway. There was a door at the end of the corridor, but no matter how fast I ran the distance never grew shorter. Tyler's panting breaths were always behind me, letting me know he was still on my heels as I tried to escape. His footsteps grew louder along with the beating of my heart.

He was closing in on me.

I turned a corner and pressed my back against the wall. I had hoped he would just keep running like they do in all the movies, but my life was more of a horror movie if anything.

He was too close when I turned the corner and he just laughed at my feeble attempt to deceive him. He clamped his hand around my wrist and pulled me down the hallway towards my room. There was no point in fighting, he could overpower me on his worst days. I would only be making more trouble for myself if I even attempted to escape again.

Tyler threw me into my room and advanced on me. I kept backing away from him, trying to prolong the inevitable beating even if just for a few seconds. My back hit the wall and my heart sunk as Tyler closed in. He stopped when there were only a couple of inches between us and he cocked his head to the side.

"Why even bother Rosie? You are mine and you are NEVER leaving."

I shot up in my bed covered in sweat and instantly began reaching in the dark. I didn't have to search for long because the thing I was looking for pushed me onto my back and laid on top of me. Moose began licking my face while his large body on my chest promoted me to take deep breaths. I ran my hand down his fluffy back, stopping every now and again to scratch his favorite spots.

Moose grunted and rolled off my chest and onto his back next to me so I could scratch his stomach. Moose looked up at me with his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth before licking me and standing up quickly. He gently took my wrist in his mouth and pulled me up and out of bed.

"Okay, okay, I get it. I'm up." Moose dropped my wrist from his mouth and barked. I smiled at him while I headed to the bathroom. "God, you really are obnoxious sometimes, you know that?" Moose just bowed, wiggling his butt playfully and let out another bark.

I quickly did my regular showering routine, taking all of ten minutes to do. Once I was out of the shower I changed into a hoodie and sweatpants. I brushed my teeth and pulled my dark wet hair into a messy bun before opening the door, almost walking into Moose who was still bowing down with his butt in the air. Only this time he had his leash and red vest dangling from his mouth as he let out a playful growl, his tail wagging rapidly.

"Alright, Moose." I put on his vest and put the leash over my shoulder. Moose followed closely while I walked around the house and collected my phone, money, and keys.

When we reached the front door Moose sat down and waited patiently for me to attach his leash. I took a deep breath and rested my hand on the door handle. Moose seemed to sense my reluctance and pushed my hand down with his chin, opening the door for me.

For the longest time, I couldn't even walk outside because people whispered a lot louder than they intended. After all, my face was plastered all around North Carolina and a few short news segments in other states. Still to this day I have to dodge their glances and whispers. I cannot really blame them; this kind of thing is barely heard of in Raleigh, North Carolina. A young girl goes missing at six and is found after being missing for fifteen years? Unheard of anywhere.

It helped to have Moose with me. I got him as a puppy just so I could have a dog. I didn't expect for him to become my service dog, but he took to the role naturally.

Currently, he was simply walking beside me with his body leaning against my leg to distract me from the large group of people whose eyes followed me as I walked. , was a common occurrence, thankfully this particular group of people didn't feel the need to come up and talked to me about how horrible it must have been for me. Like I didn't already know my life was shit.