Chapter I - Then and Now

21.feb.1784

It was almost midnight at 21. February and the Carnaval of Venice was coming to an end. I looked around myself. There were many people at the main streets and the squares, who were laughing, singing, dancing, and making fun at each other.

But I was walking alone through the little dark streets, holding a lightened torch in my hand. I was in a rush and sneaking around corner after corner. I have not got any idea where I was going, but my heart was beating fast, not only because of my fast walking, but also because of some strange tension I was feeling deep in my soul. I was looking for someone, expecting them.

I reached a little bridge right in front of "Ponte dei Sospiri" and stopped. There was a man dressed in a red wool cloak, fastened with hook and chain attached to two golden horse heads. He had a black classic tricorn hat on his head. When the stranger turned entirely to me, the light from my torch shined on his covered with Bauta mask face. The mask was as a chess board and when a saw that, my heart skipped a beat.

I fixed my red satin dress then wrapped my shoulders and chests in the golden wool cape I had. I moved forward to the person in front of me, so I could see him better. He was of a medium high, rather short, not very thin, with a posture of a peacock. The man was holding a walking stick with a golden horse head on it's top. I could not see his hands, because they were covered in gloves.

- Isn't it dangerous for a woman like you to be outside at this late hour? – he asked in Italian when he came closer to me.

I felt shivers on my whole body when I heard his voice. He sounded like someone has grabbed him for the throat and barely let him breath.

- It is never late for a date – I said on the same language. – Let me pass through! Over there is someone waiting for me.

- Oh, I see! – the stranger mumbled and made another step closer to me. – So, who is your date?

- You do not know him! – I averred. – Now, get out of my way.

- No, no... I think that you are looking for me – he laughed and with the head of his walking stick nudged my coat. – You are the future princess, right?

- You are completely wrong! – I stepped back.

- Oh. Do not lie to me... I recognized you, princess – he said and came closer. – The ruby necklace... I gave it to you!

- That is impossible! – I gasped. – You are not "The Chess Player".

- Actually, it's me – he said again laughing.

- No, "The Chess Player" is tall, kind and divinely beautiful – I shook my head. – You are with a high of a bunny, rude and...

- How could you say something about my beauty when you could not see my face? – he interrupted me.

- Even with a mask I could see your eyes... I can read your soul...

- Oh, ma petite beauté, how mislaid you are?!

And again, his ominous laughter. I felt something strange, as if I was scared for me. That was not the man I was looking for. That was not "The Chess Player".

- Where is he? – I asked.

- Right in front of you! – whispered the man and leaned forward to me. – And now you are going to give me back, what is mine!