Chapter LVII - We are a couple

8. Jul - Qualifying day

And somehow it was already Friday - the first day on the track. Due to the fact that I always insisted on being in the paddock earlier than even our boss, Carlos also had to wake up earlier and accompany me. Of course, I have suggested to him a thousand times that we go at different hours - each according to his commitments, but my Latin partner was unwilling to let me out of his reach. The happy news was that I was able to keep the ruby ​​from him and Sainz didn't get to see me put the stone in my bag. So far my mission was going pretty well and I was beginning to have hopes that I could actually complete it without the knowledge of the two boys who were on the alert for my every move.

#

 Our working day started quite surprisingly. Charles arrived at the paddock with Fred, but the more shocking thing was when we saw Mattia Binotto. Of course, I couldn't miss the meeting with such a legend from the Ferrari team, and for this Carlos helped me - still so close to his former boss.

 Free Practice 1 went by without anything serious happening and there was no indication that Charles's engine electronics will again suffer in Fp2. On the other hand, Carlos finished P2, which once again confirmed his position as the fastest driver in our team. But anyone could boast titles in a good car... what if the car was as problematic as Charles's (I have a feeling that one of the mechanics was deliberately damaging the car after it passed my tests, otherwise the diagnostics latest software would have detected even the most subtle problem ).

At the end of the training, Mekies and I looked at each other meaningfully. It was known that I would be working overtime... and not just me, but our entire pitcrew. The practice wasn't over yet when Vasseur went to Charles' garage. He would probably tell him the next empty promises, which then I, in my role as a good friend of Charles, had to try to fulfill... And of course fail, because they are too much to fulfill.

 After the official end of the session, I first headed to Sainz's garage. He had just got out of the car when a rush of love emotion stunned me and I hurried to throw myself on his neck, while he was still with his helmet and balaclava.

 - Hey Muñeca! - he exclaimed and we both giggled.

- If you keep up this extreme pace this weekend you might bring home a podium again - I said patting him on the helmet.

 - If I get a podium, I will dedicate it to you! - he lightly touched the tip of my nose with his finger.

 I smiled shyly and rubbed his shoulders. Only the gold epaulettes were missing and Carlos would look like the man I saw yesterday. I was embarrassed when I realized this and my smile disappeared.

 - Come on, go change yourself! - I said quietly. - I'm going to go through the garage of a... wrecked car.

 Sainz rolled his eyes, then slapped me lightly on the gluteus and headed down the hall leading to his room. 

I waited until I was sure he had gone back to his room, then I ran to Leclerc's garage. I met Andrea standing with his back to me talking to Xavi. Traitor! I reached over and grabbed his arm without saying anything, without even a word to Xavier and led the Tuscan to a secret place away from everyone.

 - Andrea I need access! - I said quietly when we stopped.

 - Ah, not again Lissie! -  he rolled his eyes. - Don't drag me into...

- Australia was different - I interrupted him. - It's another thing now.

 I gave him a meaningful look and the trainer sighed heavily, looking around.