Chapter XLII - Señorita

30.May-01. Jun – Arrival in Spain

Along with the problems I had accumulated the previous weekend, I completely forgot that we were going to present a new concept of our car at the track in Barcelona. The sidepods and the floor were upgraded, and I had high hopes for the new design of the cars, they were still similar to those of Red Bull. I really hoped that after the disappointments in my personal life, at least in terms of work on the track, we would do some very good tests of the improvements and the team would finally perform well. After the race, the annual Pirelli tire tests would also take place, which is why Cataluña was such an important track for us. It was one where Formula 1 always feels very comfortable, because everything is well arranged, and the Ferrari cars were  working pretty well. Or at least it was like that so far.

After about 2 hours of flight, in which I lay quite calmly, snuggled into Carlos, without speaking at all, I finally realized that we were landing. My excitement grew as I looked out the window of the plane and saw the huge city, with the small squares of buildings formed, the huge cathedral at the center of it all, and the stretching expanse of water in the distance, in which the reflection of the sun's rays glistened. I unconsciously squeezed Carlos's hand and heard him laugh. When turned to him he was watching me with pride and affection. I smiled. Right now, I needed a person to be my spiritual support and it was strange that I found it exactly in Carlos. The person with whom we were not always on good terms, the person with whom we quarreled so often that we even went as far as to show physical aggression towards each other, but one thing seemed to bring us closer – the broken heart.

We got off the plane and there were two Ferraris waiting for us - red and gray metallic. I was surprised by this - it was the first time I had seen such a welcoming, but after all, Carlos and Fernando were revered in their country, so I should have expected that there would be a special treatment for one of the Spanish kings of the track that I was currently riding with. With great effort, Sainz fit our luggage into the sports car, but thanks to his persistence, he succeeded. As I climbed into the passenger seat, my body sank into the comfortable black leather seat. I also smelled the scent of a new car, and my skin got goosebumps. It felt so good, and my brain immediately made a reference to Charles' car. I tried to push the memory of him back, but got lost when Carlos started the engine, the radio accordingly activated, and George Michael's jazz music played from it - the same one I listened to on my way to Capri, after my first meeting with Charles. And I saw his blue-green eyes fixed on me, I felt his lips against the skin of my hand again, I remembered that sweet innocent smile and the deep dimples that captured me. How good he looked then in the red suit, with his black "epaulettes", disheveled hair, and slightly sweaty forehead. Regardless of how he was dressed, in my eyes Charles always looked like a prince, like a handsome, gentle nobleman... A nobleman with blue-green eyes...

- Lissie, guapa - Carlos' voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

- Chess Player - I whispered and turned to him.

Sainz looked at me with concern and put a hand on my knee.

- Lissie are you okay? - he asked. - You look pale...

- I... I'm just a little tired... - I stammered and forced myself to smile. - I had a restless sleep and...

- I know - you were talking in your sleep and several times I got up to check on you - he answered and smiled, but I blushed with embarrassment. - It doesn't matter, Lissie, you'll have a good night's sleep in MY apartment now.

- Which hotel are we in? - I asked and opened my phone, intending to check what the rooms looked like. - I really hope there is a terrace facing the beach and I can drink my coffee on it. The view of the water calms me.