Chapter XLVI - Hope, lust for life and...

04.Jun – Spanish GP

I didn't sleep all night. Not only because of worry with everything that was happening, but also because I had to build a strategy for the race. Carlos left my room after he stayed for about an hour to hug me and make sure I was asleep. But the second he walked out, I opened my eyes, and with them my phone and laptop.

It became clear that Charles' problem during Qualifying was the settings of the car and not "my influence" on him. This was also the reason why I wrote to Fusaro at past midnight, from whom I received information that they did not allow the team to work until late hours and asked us to continue the next day. Parts of Leclerc's car would be sent to Maranello for diagnostics. This was good as I would be able to be present and follow the process of working over the car in the morning, but bad as the parts would be shipped and the diagnostics would take place the next day. This would definitely slow us down, but I was already used to the stereotype of work, radically different from the German I had been trained in.

The sun wasn't even up when I started getting ready in my traditional way for race day. At 7:00am I left my room wearing my uniform with the laptop bag in my hand. My hair - tied in a half ponytail, light makeup to hide the shadows of my worries and the constant part of my outfit - my lucky charms.

Probably the noise I made leaving the bedroom woke Carlos up and he immediately appeared at his door, half asleep and naked to the waist. This man really had a sexy body that was hard to resist, and now the sight of him made my heart start beating faster... Or maybe it was that I was caught in the act when I tried to sneak away unnoticed.

- Where are you going? - Sainz asked, placing his hands on his hips.

- To the milk shop - I replied ironically.

- In uniform and the bag with the computer on the shoulder? - he raised his eyebrows. His abs tightened and defined even more clearly.

- I have a lot of work to do after that - I replied slightly annoyed.

Whether it was the lack of sleep or the problems, I have no idea, but my cracked tone was very noticeable to both of us. Carlos sighed heavily and shook his head in exasperation. It wasn't the first time I'd seen this reaction, so it didn't really catch my attention anymore.

- Lissie, if you want to go to the circuit, you just have to tell me, you don't have to be so harsh - he said quietly and walked towards me.

His unruly fluffy hair fell over his forehead, and he had to brush it down with his fingers a few times before it agreed to take on some decent form.

- I'm sorry, but I don't feel well - I replied. - All this pressure is driving me crazy, and I am starting to be jerk with people around me. I'll be more careful next time.

The Spaniard smiled and his hand gently slid down my cheek before placing a kiss on my forehead. At that moment my phone rang. It was Fusaro.

- Are you awake? – the engineer asked me after I picked up.

- I'm even almost leaving for the circuit - I replied and looked at Sainz who was slowly getting annoyed.

- Isn't it a bit too early?

- Make sure that after an hour both pit crews are in the pits, ready for work.

When I heard the sigh of irritation from Carlos, I immediately turned my back on him and began to walk around the small corridor with little steps.

- But I cannot... – tried to say Alessandro but I interrupted him.

- Look, Fusaro, if you call me to tell me what you can or can't do, I will never pick up the phone again! - I started in an angry tone. - Now get your ass up and call everyone on the team to go to the track. You have an appointment!