Chapter XXXIV - A sky full of stars

Middle of May – Imola week

When we returned back to our homes, I stayed alone at my apartment in Modena. The week leading up to the Imola race was too uneventful for my new standards. It was a very strange feeling. Charles and Carlos weren't in Maranello and now I had to work with Antonio Giovinazzi and Robert Schwartzman. They were good guys and helped me a lot with our car tests in the simulator. It was extremely important to me to see how our cars were developing before the guys got into the improved machines. I didn't agree with Mekies and Vasseur's decision to give our drivers a break, but they were the team principals, and I couldn't say anything against their words. It was also better for me – that way I could focus on my work, not trying to fulfill Vasseur's secret order to me about ignoring the person who was mostly talking to me at this team. Also, the boys should not have overworked themselves as they would not be fruitful in their performance in the three consecutive races that followed.

On a personal level, my life has been interesting. I called Charles about his mother's birthday, and he was overjoyed, even very surprised, that I remembered this from our conversations. But how can I not remember it, we were in almost constant communication and he and his family became an integral part of my life. Leclerc was about go to France at the Circuit Paul Ricard, for a go-kart race. As always, he invited me with him, promising me a "great experience", but this time I refused, under the pretext that I had to work. It was really like that - I had to prepare for three weekends in a row, strategize, overview the work on the new parts of our cars. No one demanded it from me, I imposed it on myself, and I liked this rhythm of work. If I was not working, I usually start to reconsider. And I didn't like to overthink.

My refusal forced Charles to take Felipe Massa and Joris, and I was left alone in Italy. But the fact that we were far from each other did not stop Leclerc from communicating with me by sending me pictures and videos of his stay there. Joris also kept spamming me with paparazzi pictures of his friend and made my day more fun.

During the time that Charles was gone, I contacted the couple with whom I have become quite close lately - Kika and Pierre. They were at the height of love and walking around the outskirts of Milan, using every free minute to be together. I was still wondering what happened to Carlos the day he called me in New York, so I decided to call Isa and find out what was going on. It would have been weird to call him - he hadn't even contacted me the whole week we were off racing. But Hernaéz didn't pick up on me, which surprised me a lot. I texted her several times to talk to her when she was free, but she didn't even receive the messages. Her socials were also weird – she was posting photos all alone and some views of different places she had been. Not writing to me but posting photos... Very strange.

I was surprised by myself. If before my phone was left somewhere and I forgot about it, now it is much more often in my hands to contact someone. And I began to get used to not being alone. And I liked it that way.

#

It was Sunday night before the week in Imola. I was sitting on the couch in my living room drinking hot chocolate when I got a notification that Charles and Arthur had uploaded new photos. I opened them and smiled when saw their entire family in Monaco and some weird video of Charles getting out of the box with a little drift. They were very sweet, and I couldn't help myself, so I wrote to Charles.

Me: You're having a good time while I'm tearing up my gluteus from work. 😄 

Me: Have a nice break Charlie and send greetings to the family from me!

I had barely sent the messages when the ticks turned blue and got a video call. I jumped in fright and almost dropped my phone on the ground. Then quickly fixed my hair in a messy bun and wiped the corners of my lips, which were sure to be in hot chocolate. I quickly placed the cup on my table and leaned the phone on it. When finally answered I smiled widely seeing Charles on my phone screen.