Chapter XX - Betrayal

1 Apr. – Qualifying Day

On the way back to the hotel, Charles and Andrea told me Vasseur was furious after FP2. Although thanks to my insane acts, we achieved good results and managed to collect enough data about the performance of the cars, the team principal wasn't happy with what happened. At the briefing he has been asking about me but neither Charles nor Andrea said anything. Even when Carlos spoke to Leclerc outside of the conference room, the Monegasque lied that I was already at the hotel. What a good friend!

Leclerc claimed that this was the first time he had ever seen Vasseur so angry, even foam has been coming out of his mouth, while he was screaming like a madman. He asked how it was possible that out of a whole team of specialists, none of them knew where I was or from whom they had received the orders for the changes in the strategy. Apparently, the pit crew had Andrea's back and didn't say anything about him running between the boxes. I apologized to the coach for involving him in my revenge plan, but it seemed that he liked his role in it. I think he will get a big bonus on top of his salary after that.

But when the excitement of the success of our secret "mission" got lower and I was alone in my hotel room again, I began to feel remorse. I felt Charles and Andrea as my co-conspirators, and I started to worry that I might cause trouble for both of them. I didn't care for my position – It is obvious that it doesn't matter to Vasseur if I am there or not, so he can easily kick me out of the team no matter if I was performing well or not. But Charles was a key figure in the team and Andrea was important for him. I wouldn't forgive myself if they were punished because of me. I felt revenged, but also guilty.

The night was rough. I spent it again overthinking, not only for what I did behind the back of the team principal, but also for what was happening on the track. Yeah, after I achieved great success in FP2, now I was more confident in my strategy skills. But the good performance of the team wasn't based only on strategy. Engineers, constructors, drivers... They also played their part in achieving results.

I analyzed the statistics I received from the board computer and the timing of both drivers. Something was wrong with Carlos, and I already noticed it at the previous race. He had the same car settings as Charles, the same construct changes but on the track, there was a big difference between him and Leclerc. I had to speak in private with Sainz about his performance, because I didn't want to do it in front of the other part of the team. It could be vile, and I didn't want to make him feel bad. Probably if we were alone, he would share with me if there was something bothering him.

With the sun rising came the new day and the struggle was about to continue. I didn't sleep at all, that's why when the clock hit 8am, I got up from the couch, finished the tenth cup of coffee, which kept me awake during the night and went to my bedroom. Then I changed the hoodie of Charles, that I was still wearing, with a clean red uniform and covered the dark circles under my eyes with my usual make-up. I've decided that I should be ready to leave for the circuit after the conversation with Carlos, so I put the lucky amulets on and tightened my hair in a high pony tail. 

I was feeling pretty nervous. My gut was telling me that something unpleasant was going to happen today. I took my phone and the card for my room then with a heavy heart I headed to Carlos' room.

I knocked on his door and it wasn't a surprise when Isa opened.

- Hey lovely! – she exclaimed, hugging me.

- Good morning, Isa! – I greeted her. – Is Carlos here?

- He is taking a shower right now – the girl replied and stepped aside. – Would you like to come in?

- Oh, no I don't want to bother you at all – I said embarrassed. – Just tell him we need to speak about something really important.

- That means you should definitely  come in! – Hernáez said serious and took my hand. – Come on! I will make us coffee! You look like you need a huge cup of it!