Chapter XLIII - The Brooch

Blanca was such a wonderful person. I don't know if I've ever met someone that I could start sharing my life with after we'd only seen each other for the first time twenty minutes ago. I was delighted with her behavior to me. She didn't ask questions, but rather listened as I leafed through my soul layer by layer, carelessly examining the clothes I had spilled on the bed. I could see that I could trust her, and in her coffee-bean eyes I could see empathy for every problem I shared with her. Perhaps the fact that she was the oldest child in the family contributed to this attitude of hers, but with her I had that feeling as if we had known each other for years.

I have no idea how long we spent in the room, but the housekeeper (of course, people living in such a "palace" cannot manage alone in it), brought a large suit case to my room. With Blanca's help, I opened it and saw a long all-black dress, made of Italian satin. We took the dress out of its case to get a better look over it. It was sleeveless, floor-length, with a fitted bodice, a plunging neckline at the back, leaving the back and shoulders bare, with the neck and collarbones exposed at the front. The skirt was gathered at the waist and had a thigh slit on the right side. The dress was accessorized with elbow-length white satin gloves.

- Givenchy's Little Black Dress - Blanca said and looked at me meaningfully.

- But I don't have such a thing in my wardrobe - I said embarrassed and looked at the dress – This is probably for you...

- Actually, it's for you - the woman smiled and pointed to the label on the case. - Your name is written here... Carlos clearly tried his best to supply you with the most important thing in one woman's wardrobe.

I sighed heavily. His gesture was as impressive as it was disconcerting. The dress was indeed from the Givenchy fashion collection, very similar to Audrey Hepburn's in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but it was too expensive "gift" for me to accept it.

- Put it on - I said and handed it to Blanca. - This is too much for me.

- It's not my size - she looked at my body and winked playfully.

- I wonder how Carlos could know my bust and waist size when we hadn't even discussed it - I rolled my eyes and looked at the neckline of the dress.

- Carlos knows a lot of things, and I don't even know how he does it - his sister shook her head. - In most cases he is a passive observer and maybe that helps him a lot.

- Yes, being an active participant doesn't do much good - my lips curled into a bitter smile. - And I'm a living example of that... Anyway, I think it's time to take a shower and put on this "jewel".

- You're right, soon our guests will come for dinner, and we're still here talking sweetly - Blanca laughed. - It was so nice to spend time with you. I really hope this is not your last visit here.

I remained silent and just smiled back. I myself didn't know if I wanted this to be my last visit or not. I had no idea what fate would have in store for me.

#

Dinner preparations took me about two hours, but I was ready just in time - dressed in the black dress that accentuated the curves of my body, with my traditional make-up that made my eyes look even bigger, the cherry gloss on my lips, my favorite perfume, hair tied in a high bun, loose strands around my face, curled in light waves. The hairstyle allowed my neck and bare back to be visible. I put on the long white gloves, and over them the bracelet from Charles, which I never took off. When I was completely ready, I left my room and headed for the stairs, praying that I wouldn't fall due to the height of my heels.