Plotting

The flight back to the compound wasn't long, but it was enough to get Luna caught up on everything that had happened. Nat told her on the flight back that Fury ended up explaining her history to the others and Luna stiffened in Bucky's arms. Sam took over telling Luna how Nat and Bucky tried to stop him, but when Fury refused, they both got up and walked out of the room.

Luna smiled at Nat with gratitude and then looked at Bucky. He looked awkward and uncomfortable at the information Sam had shared. It was almost as if he was afraid she was going to be upset at him because he had failed to stop Fury. As soon as her lips parted in a small smile, his tension faded.

Her pain had eased by the time they landed thanks to some pain meds that Nat had found on the jet. Once Steve set the jet down in the hanger, she moved to stand from Bucky's lap. He had refused to put her down the entire flight back and she didn't fight him on it. She cuddled into him and let his presence invade her senses. Luna liked being in his arms, but she wanted to walk into the compound and show everyone that she wouldn't be broken so easily. However, one look from Bucky had her settling back into his embrace and letting him carry her out of the jet.

"Good girl" Bucky whispered into her hair, sending a shiver through her body.

To her surprise, the whole team welcomed her home. Instead of the looks of pity that she expected to see, everyone was standing there with smiles on their faces. Even Tony had a small smirk lifting the corner of his mouth.

"Hey, moon goddess. Glad you're finally home." Tony greeted her.

"Bruce, is Dr. Cho here? Luna needs to be looked at as soon as possible." Bucky said, ignoring everyone else and stopping right in front of Bruce.

"She's at the hospital today. What's going on?" Bruce's eyes scanned over Luna, doing a quick assessment.

"We need you to check for internal bleeding. She got into a fight with that asshole." Nat flicked her head towards Steve who was bringing Liam off the jet.

Liam smirked at Luna as he passed by her and tried to jerk his arm from Steve's hold. Bucky turned Luna away from him as Sam stepped up and grabbed Liam's other arm to lead him away.

"Bring her to the triage room. I'll run some tests and make sure everything is okay."

Bucky followed Bruce and laid Luna gently onto a bed in the triage room. He took a seat in the corner of the room as Bruce began looking Luna over. He drew blood and then had Bucky bring her into the adjoining room for x-rays and a few other tests.While Bruce waited for the results of her tests, Luna fell asleep. Bucky watched the soft rise and fall of her chest.

He spent the last week barely sleeping because he couldn't focus on anything other than finding her. He was so relieved when he saw her that for a moment he forgot about the pain he felt when she left. He forgot the words she said to him.

"I have some good news." Bruce said as he came into the room looking at some papers.

"She's asleep. Let me wake her up." Bucky said standing and walking to her bed. "Luna. Wake up, doll."

Luna's eyes fluttered open and stared up at Bucky.

"Bruce is back." Bucky said.

"Everything looks good, Luna. I didn't see any broken bones or life threatening injuries." Bruce started as soon as she looked at him. "You're going to have some bad bruising and you'll be sore for a while. You're still not fully healed from your previous injury, but I didn't see any signs of internal bleeding. You're going to have a sore throat for a while and it'll be difficult for you to talk until the bruising on your larynx heals up."