Four

If he recognised me, he showed no indication at all. When Hae-e turned around to introduce us, he acted like it was his first time seeing me.

On the other hand, I was too embarrassed from that incident and definitely not going to mention it in front of everybody, so I also pretended that I was seeing him for the first time.

The bell rang, and the first period teacher came in, and lessons commenced for the day. It was the dreaded history, so I paid my utmost attention to what was being taught.

When the bell rang for the break, the kids got up to their feet and scurried out of the classroom like yesterday, while some remained to study. Hae-e turned around and asked me if I wanted to take a look at the canteen as they were heading there. I said ok. When we left, from the corner of my eye, I saw Kim Jong Woon at his desk with his earpods plugged back into his ears.

The canteen was in the next building. By the time we reached, it was already flooded with students from all three levels. Everybody was having a break at the same time. In JC, we didn't have the same break, especially if from different classes. Every class had a different timetable. Sometimes, even within the same class, we also had different breaks. It depends on what subjects we were taking. I could be taking Maths, Economics, Geography and Physics, but Amanda took Chemistry instead of Economics, so our timetable was slightly different even though we were in the same class. But at least the canteen wasn't full and there were always tables available.

We packed our sandwiches and drinks. I noticed that quite a lot of heads turned around to look at Sunjae. Girls. I must agree he was one good-looking dude. And tall. He stood out easily. But either he was used to people checking him out or that he just didn't notice.

I followed the trio to the rooftop. The weather was good. So it was nice on the rooftop.

I watched Korean dramas and noted that they liked to go to the rooftops. I had never been to one before. All our rooftops in Singapore were safely out of bounds. In case people jump to their deaths. It was an offence to commit suicide in Singapore. So if you jump, make sure you die, else you would be fined.

We were not the only ones on the rooftop. There were a few groups of people here and there. We found an empty spot and sat down.

I saw Sunjae poking the straw for Hae-e. I have a feeling that Sunjae likes Hae-e. Though I was quite sure they weren't a couple. At least not yet.

"Do you like to sing?" Danli asked me randomly.

"Huh?" I was taken by surprise by her question. "What do you mean?" I asked her in return.

"We sometimes like to go to the noraebang (karaoke room). Want to join us?"

That's the first step to making friends, isn't it? I was grateful they bothered about me. I mean, the three of them were obviously a clique. They didn't really need one more person.

Or maybe Danli was trying to pull me in because she felt out of place with the other two?

Anyway, I've got nothing to lose.

"Sure," I smiled back.

"Do you have any favourites?"

"Hmm... not really. BSB?"

"BSB?" She raised an eyebrow and gave me a puzzled look.

"Backstreet boys," Hae-e laughed.

"Backstreet back alright!" Sunjae sang.

"Don't know them..." Danli shrugged.

"Maybe you should listen to more English songs to improve your English," Hae-e suggested.