Eighteen

"Catheter ablation is a minimally invasive treatment for fast heartbeats. A catheter is a thin tube inserted through a blood vessel to the heart. Catheter ablation includes atrial fibrillation AFib and atrial flutter, supraventricular tachycardia SVT, and ventricular tachycardia VT. Catheter ablation is not usually the first line of treatment for people with arrhythmia, such as AFib. But if at least one medication to control arrhythmia had been administered without success, then catheter ablation may be recommended," the student answered.

I smiled. "Thank you. A proper textbook answer." Quite a few chuckles could be heard.

"Anyway, for the assignment this week, write a one page on any of the types as studied. The top three answers will get a chance to observe a catheter ablation surgery, which I would be conducting in two weeks' time," I grinned. I could hear their excitement. It was not every day that they would be able to observe a surgery in progress. Because we are a learning hospital, we have a special observation area for students to observe surgeries. It is a rare treat and a chance to jump upon.

"Before I dismiss the class, any more questions?" I asked.

"Prof?" A hand shot up. A girl had spoken up. Everybody looked to her. Most were irritated because they couldn't wait to be off.

"Yes?"

"The last VIP patient you had - what kind of heart operation was done...?" She asked earnestly.

I smiled and replied. "All patients' files are confidential unless given prior consent for study purposes. That will be the first rule you'd learn on your first day of housemanship. If there are no other questions, I will see you next week for our last lecture. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for your assignments in my inbox." I closed my laptop. After one term of lectures, this term was finally coming to an end. I would be taking a break next term. I had requested to teach on alternate terms so my class was also full and in high demand because there were also limited slots. If I was not mistaken, the class was kept at a size of two hundred.

We have that many of medical students. Most came because of interest. Only a handful would eventually make it to the department itself. Our head director has set a high entry mark and unless you have excellent grades and conduct report, you will not get into the cardiology dept. We are very selective in our selection. The director's principal is, even if zero candidate, he will not pick a candidate who has no passion and no brains. Crude but unfortunately necessary. We are a very specialised dept, just like the neuro dept who also has a very high standard selection process. Hence, this makes these two departments the toughest to get in.

And it's definitely not all sunshine and rainbow after you get in. You will have an excruciating tough three years of training here before you may be recommended as a resident which is the next level and makes you a proper doctor in this department. As a houseman, you can be kicked out at any time.

The stress level is also extremely high and the work volume is not necessary lesser. You work in shifts and long hours.

But you can not deny the prestige and name of being a cardiologist, that is, if you survive all those rubbish. And the salary is good, of course.

But - I was an exceptional. As compared to my peers, my accommodation was just a simple one bedroom apartment near the hospital. And I didn't own a car. Of course, I could afford a big brand luxury car and probably a penthouse somewhere in Gangnam but I didn't feel the need to.

I used the money to pay for Grandma's expenses, though she was also getting some from my dad. And I donated regularly to Myanmar to support the charity my mom was doing.

My parents were legally divorced since eighteen years ago. And thereafter, my dad had remarried. It was that lady I saw him with before. She was apparently the only daughter of some rich businessman. And they had a daughter who just turned sixteen last month. It was all over the news. The mother was a popular influencer. I didn't follow her on social media but news of them always pop up somehow, either through my colleagues or through the patients.