Thirteen

Back in Singapore, we had proms for the graduating seniors. Talking of which, I realised that I had gotten used to life here and stopped comparing everything back to Singapore. It was like as if I had left that part of my life behind as part of my memories. I stopped texting my Singaporean friends as well, except recently, Christina, one of my ex-classmates texted me out of the blue asking me for recommendations because her family was planning to visit Korea for the winter holidays.

To be honest, this upcoming winter holiday would also be my first winter holiday in Korea. I came over to Korea over the Christmas holidays and shortly after, school started so I didn't really get to have any holidays. Besides, when I came, my mood was terrible. I was in no mood to play and have fun even if I could.

I apologised to Christina and told her that I was sorry I couldn't be of much help and I hoped that her family had a good time here in Korea.

So, instead of proms, we would be having a seniors graduation party in the school hall.

There was a debate going on whether students should dress up or simply come in school uniforms. Dress up basically would be like prom where boys wearing smart suits and girls wearing gowns and dresses. But that means we would have to spend money to dress up and not everyone would be able to afford it.

Then the date as well. We preferred to have it after the CSAT but for some reason, the principal decided on end of September before the Chuseok break. Why he wanted to do it on that day we had no idea.

Next, the performances. Each class had to perform at least an item. Actually, the idea was for individuals or friends to volunteer to perform. It could be anything from singing to dancing to magic tricks to anything as long as it was entertaining. But the teacher-in-charge was afraid no one would volunteer so he made it such that each class had to have an item to perform.

He didn't had to worry. The list was overflowing.

For our class, everybody targeted Jong Woon. Danli wanted to sing but everybody stopped her.

"Why don't you dance too?" Nam Heonhyun asked him.

"I'm not that good a dancer," Jong Woon said. "And it's not fun dancing by myself."

"What about -" Danli piped suddenly. "What about -"

Everybody stopped and looked at her.

"What about what?" Jo Sunghoon asked irritably.

"How about you guys form a group and perform a dance? Jong Woon can lead. We will bring the roof down!"

At first, everybody was doubtful. But as the idea sat in, everybody got more and more excited. They started all at once. Jong Woon, on the other hand, wasn't very confident.

"I don't know..." He hesitated.

"Why don't you try?" I encouraged. "Since everybody is so excited. Do you have a song in mind?"

"I really don't know..." He repeated.

"Let's try to organise this," Danli clapped her hands to get everybody's attention.

Everybody stopped talking and paid attention to her.

"Who wants to be part of the dance?" She asked.

Since everybody was so excited, I thought all the guys would sign up.

In the end, only four guys were keen. Nam Heonhyun, Ko Inbum, Kim Kikwang, and Cha Jihoon.

"That means, Jong Woon, you need to prepare a dance for five people," she said.

"I still don't think -" Then when he saw our faces and those four guys' faces, he shut up. "I'll try and find something," he said reluctantly.