tripping over air

Tripping Over Air - Aidan Bisset
-
I know- she likes boys that play guitar
Tattooed arms and a beat up car
I know she's gonna break my heart
~

Ashton Irwin saw the couple together outside his apartment the next morning. Or more so heard them, giggles falling from the girls lips as Michael continued to poke at her sides, distracting her from fishing for her key. He wanted to see her though, even if she sounded happy as ever with her boyfriend.

But opening his front door, he was surprised to see what used to almost be blonde again, red. As upset as he was to see the blonde gone, he couldn't help but relish in the fact that she was sporting the color he told her was his favorite.

He instantly wondered if she was the one to pick it. Seeing as Michael wasn't matching her, that was his assumption.

"Damn Delilah, that's a statement with hair if I ever saw one." The oldest chuckled, leaning against his door frame. "Looks like a cry for help, this one driving you that insane?" His eyes flicked to Michael for only a fraction of a second before landing back on the girl.

With a roll of his eyes, Michael's arm snaked laround the girl's waist. But she was the first to speak up. "No cries for help here, just needed a touch up on the hair and I chose red." A quick pause. "I was thinking we could work on the song later tonight, is that okay?"

"Yeah." Ashton nodded, their gazes finally meeting for the first time since the night before. She chose the red. Not Michael. He was on cloud nine, she had to have picked it for him. Because of him. "Just text me and I can make it work."

"I guess I could see if Calum can work on it tonight too." Michael shrugged, staring down at his girlfriend. "I was kind of hoping to spend the night together again, like last night."

"Tomorrow, I promise." The girl with deep red hair turned to him. "I'm getting stressed with thanksgiving coming up. Going home is going to derail the thought process for me and make the songwriting process harder."

"It'll work out, the song is great." Ashton smiled softly, pulling the girl's attention back to him. To his lips and damned simples.

"I might not even go home." The whisper fell from her lips, subconsciously wishing her song writing partner was possibly thinking the same thing. But he didn't comment on it.

"Come on babe, we don't want to be late for our classes." Michael urged her to find her key, to which she started digging through her tote for it. When a small sigh fell from Ashton's lips, the couple glanced at him as he walked back into his apartment, letting the door close behind him.

With his back to the door, he slowly slid to the ground his head in his hands. A million thoughts running through his mind, but one prominent. She dyed her hair red because that's the color he chose. She has red hair because in her mind, it's his favorite color. It's for him and no one could change his mind about that.

His head back then, resting against the door he let out a frustrated groan as soon as he didn't hear the couple on the other side anymore. What in the world was he supposed to do?

"Fuck." He cursed under his breath, shaking his head. All he wanted to do was kiss her again.

"What's got you sulking like a fourteen year old whose girlfriend won't hug him after school?" Calum chuckled, stepping out of the bathroom and rubbing the towel over his head.

Delilah fucking Carmichael.

"Just got dizzy and needed to sit down." He mumbled, pushing himself up and walking to the kitchen to get some water. "Why are you up so early? I thought your class got canceled this morning?"