story of another us

Story of Another Us - 5 Seconds of Summer

Drown me, beside you
Where I'll be to remind you
We're still first, in line for
The front row of last resorts

~

Delilah was well past drunk. More than she had ever been, and more than she ever expected to be. Maybe at a bachelorette party in the future, or something of the sorts when it came to celebrating. But never because of three different boys on her mind all at once.

As much as she knew about Michael, it still hurt more than she could comprehend. Everything that happened with him, all the cheating and lying, on both ends, had her mind going a millions miles a second.

Then there was Ashton, the hazel eyed, slightly older boy with a story that made her hurt for him every time she thought about it. The girl didn't understand how something so horrible could happen to such a great person.

And Reese. As much as she wanted to hate him and blame him for everything that happened, she couldn't. She knew it was her fault for falling for someone she shouldn't have. One of her teachers out of everyone she had met at school. Delilah hadn't spoken to him since she had begged him to come clean about what happened between the two of them. She had practically begged him to ruin his career.

Sitting at the bar still, elbow on the counter with her head in her hand, she stirred the ice of the last drink she had finished. She wasn't even sure how many it was at that point, but the bartender hadn't cut her off yet, even though he should have long before.

The man stepped in front of her again, eyeing the empty glass before leaning onto his forearms and catching the girl's attention. She barely even noticed him until he spoke up, eyebrows raised.

"I can get you one more, but I gotta cut you off after that." He sighed, studying the girl's face for a moment. Her cheeks red, eyes glossed over from the drinks and blinking so. Taking note of the tears brimming her eyes, he felt for the girl. He had seen her going through pictures in her phone, assuming she had gone through some sort of break up, he didn't want to upset her more.

"One more would be great." She whispered, looking back down at her phone once again. "Then you can uh- you can close out my tab."

He gave her a weak smile, taking her card as she held it out to him after struggling with her wallet. "This one's on me."

The blonde tried to smile back, but she didn't really have it in her. She felt numb as she thought about everything again. He walked off to make her another drink, and she continued with the pictures, going farther and farther back until she came across a favorite of her and Reese together.

She didn't notice the new drink in front of her, along with a pen and receipt as she took note of how happy she had looked in the picture. It was one of the last they took together, laying in his bed with the sheet pulled up over her chest, smiling at the camera with Reese smiling at her. It was a Live Photo, showing her laughing and him turning his head to look from the camera at her. She couldn't tell you how many times she re-watched it until she finally noticed the full drink in front of her.

Absentmindedly sipping on the drink, signing the receipt and leaving much too big of a tip for putting up with her, she favorited the picture. The girl watched it one last time as she finished the drink and sighed to herself. It was time to leave. She knew she had far too much to drink, and would regret it for more than just the following day. Not to mention getting back to the apartment because she had driven there herself.