cruel summer

Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift

I'm drunk in the back of the car
And I cried like a baby coming home from the bar
Said, "I'm fine, " but it wasn't true
I don't wanna keep secrets just to keep you

~

Delilah Jade sat on her bed, notebook sprawled out in front of her, various lyrics written on different pages. The songs she had started writing about Reese and the relationship they shared. Contrary to both Ashton and Reese's beliefs, the girl remembered the night before clear as day. No matter how embarrassed she was, she had forgotten about those nearly finished songs until the boy had brought them up.

Even hungover, the girl has a surge of motivation to finish at least one of them, she just had to decide which one to work on. After everything happened with the boy, she never thought to finish the songs, but she wanted to now. They were communicating again, and she didn't know what any of it meant, besides the fact that she was thinking about how happy she had been with him.

"Jade?" Alexis called from the other side of the bedroom door, knocking quietly. "Ashton said I should check on you. That you drank a lot last night."

The blonde felt her cheeks heat, biting at her lip before standing from her bed and walking over to the door. After cracking it open, she gave her roommate a weak smile. "I'm okay, just trying to work on some songs." Glancing back at her bed when her roommate's gaze settled on the mess of papers, she spoke up again. "I got some motivation, and that hasn't happened much recently."

"Oh." The brunette smiled, looking back at her friend. "I'll let you get back to that then, don't let me distract you."

Delilah smiled and nodded, biting at her lip. "I should probably eat something though, did you maybe want to go get something with me?"

"There's this really cute café I've been wanting to go to with Luke." The girl smiled widely, hope filled eyes. "We can go there!"

Nodding in response, the blonde looked over her shoulder again. "Just let me change into something more presentable and we can go."

The girl retreated back into her room, closing the door behind her before changing into some clean jeans and a knitted sweater. Closing up her notebooks and shoving them into her backpack, she quickly made her way out to the living room to meet with her roommate before the two of them were walking down to the brunette's car.

It wasn't long before the two were sharing coffee and pastries at a small table at the café the brunette had talked about. Delilah thought it was really cute, and thought about how cute it'd be to go on a date there with Ashton, each of them quietly writing lyrics and bouncing ideas off each other. She wanted that more than anything, but so many things felt like they were happening at once.

"I think Ash mentioned something about you guys getting a perfect score on your song project?" The girl questioned, bringing her overpriced coffee to her lips, eyebrows raised.

Feeling her cheeks flush, Delilah smiled and nodded. "Uh yeah, Professor Talbot didn't have a single note about it. Said she wants us to work together again this semester." After a short pause, she bit at the inside of her cheek. "It uh- working with Ashton definitely hurt my relationship with Michael though."

"How are the two of you? I feel like we haven't really caught up in a while." Her roommate continued with the questions, offering a weak smile when she saw the look on her face. "Not good?"

"We uh-" Delilah sighed and closed her eyes. "Please keep this between us, I'm not really in the mood for all the I'm so sorry, Jade that'll come with other people knowing."