Book Three: Tempered, Quenched, Hardened

Year 6 is approaching fast. Back in Britain, Anna finds herself staring at the front page of the Daily Prophet. On it, their illustrious Headmaster, professor Black, is seen smiling and waving with all the false sincerity she has come to expect from him, alongside two other opulently dressed people.

The headline boldly reads: "THE TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT RETURNS".

"The Triwizard Tournament, Europe's premier championship held between the schools of Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, returns this year after being cancelled since 1782 (with a few attempts to resurrect it in the intervening century). However, as Headmaster Black has assured the Daily Prophet, this upcoming anniversary of cancellation and failure will instead be a resounding success. After negotiating for the past five years, the leaders of the competing schools are confident in their decision and are prepared to put forward their very best for a spectacular competition of skill and prowess.

Further details on page 8: an interview with Phineas Nigelus Black, the sitting Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, with Allegra Kain."

Chapter notes:

On the title: forging the shape of a blade is not enough. Unless it is heated again, let cool to a specific colour (depending on the intended use) and then quenched it will not hold an edge and might shatter on impact. Hardening was one of the greatest discoveries of the ancient world, and blacksmiths were considered quite magical because of this knowledge.
For example, to cut stone, a chisel needed to be yellow-hard (let cool to straw-yellow colour before quenching to lock in the properties) while an axe meant for cutting wood needed to have a violet-hard edge.