Lord and Hedge Knight

Classes have decisively taken a back seat in the week preceding the first Trial, not just for Anna but for what seems to be the entire student body.

The excitement and anticipation is palpable.

Sebastian had to attend a wand inspection with the other Champions, but it seems Olesya didn't want to attempt Legillemency on him when adults could see them. While it's not strictly forbidden, it's not exactly something to flaunt either.

At least that's the impression Anna got from Sharp's tight-lipped expression whenever Sebastian brought up the subject. It seems he is interested in learning how to do that... despite the art bordering on being Dark Magic.

It can be used for good or ill, that much is clear.

Despite Anna finding little enjoyment in the extra lessons - her last year was exhausting but at least assignments didn't involve unpleasant digging through her mind and memories - she understands that to become an Auror one has to have proficiency in at least Occlumency.

Being a Legillemens on top of that would be tremendously useful in duelling. If one can know the opponent's move before the move is done, it would turn the battles very much one-sided.

She remembers Sharp's deft dodging and weaving during the battle in the final Repository, despite his limited mobility. It seemed he could tell exactly where the blows were to fall... and perhaps he did.

That makes her wonder how he was deceived, in that final raid that cost him his career.

"Very good," Sharp lowers his wand as Sebastian grabs onto a desk nearby, his shoulders trembling slightly as he struggles to stand straight, "it is something you will need to keep practising, Mr Sallow, but for just one week's progress... I'm impressed."

"What's with a surprised tone," he grumbles, shaking his head.

Sharp scoffs and turns away.

"I suggest you rest. Tomorrow is going to be a dangerous day," he limps away from his classroom, clearly indicating the lesson is over.

Anna slips off the table she was sitting on and smooths out her skirt.

"Professor Sharp is right. You need to rest..."

"I was rather hoping-"

"I'm serious, Sebastian. Who knows what's going to happen tomorrow."

He shrugs, sticking his hands in his trouser pockets.

"I only mean that if your plan is to work, we might as well..."

She rolls her eyes but sighs.

"Fine. But I really think we should just... sleep. My brain is absolute mush after having Sharp rummage in there. I'm exhausted."

"Alright, alright..." he takes her hand and leads her out of the dungeons and to the Astronomy Tower, "Ominis is waiting for us in the Room, right?'

Ominis, it seems, was already proficient enough in Occlumency that Sharp didn't worry about him, instead focusing on training Anna and Sebastian.

"He should be, that's where he said he'd be."

Her plan this time was a simple one. No complicated tricks. No long-term planning. She just had to believe it would work because if it doesn't, she would send Sebastian into terrible danger.

Much as she could, she prepared him to face the various dangerous creatures. But who knows what the end goal of the Trial would be. All she knows is that it involves ravenous quintapeds, dugbogs, hippogryphs and trolls.