Addled and Puppeted

TW: mentions of sexual assault

It has been a week since she gave Alexandre the antidote.

The clinking of cutlery and the sea of voices are washing over Anna as she pushes her breakfast around the plate, distinctly lacking in the appetite department.

Sebastian is sitting across from her at the Ravenclaw table, and every once in a while, he looks up to check on Ominis back at the Slytherin table, seated among the red of Durmstrangs.

Anna doesn't have the heart to do it herself.

"He's coming up to her," Sebastian says in a quiet whisper, "not sure what he is about though..."

Anna throws a quick glance over her shoulder.

Auburn-haired, blue-robed Beauxbatons rests a foot on a bench and leans on his knee with his elbow, a picture of ease and charm as he engages the Durmstrang Champion in a conversation.

He laughs and jokes, articulating lively and seems to draw all the attention to himself with ease.

The girl watches him wearily but seems to relax as he tilts his head in what seems to be an apology.

"I think he's apologising for that thing with the Graphorn," Sebastian murmurs, leaning forward, "I mean... a bit late, don't you think?"

"Shhh..." she nudges his hand, "look. That one Durmstrang, next to Ominis..."

Indeed, while Alexandre is loudly recanting some ludicrous story, a Durmstrang boy passes a hand over Ominis' tea cup.

Sleight of hand, bribery and corruption, of course.

"Think he bought that poor sod's help?" Sebastian asks, watching intently.

"Maybe... or maybe he persuaded and cajoled, which is just as likely. I don't think a lot of them were happy with her being the Champion..."

"Hmm, yes they do strike me as a very competitive bunch..."

Alexandre continues to bullshit, smiling and laughing, playing up his French accent, his lame jokes actually making the Durmstrangs and Slytherins laugh.

Beside the girl, Ominis takes a sip of his tea.

Apparently, that is what the Beauxbatons was waiting for, as he swiftly wraps up his performance and bids the other Champion farewell.

He then returns to the Ravenclaw table, sitting down some ways away from Anna and Sebastian, and a minute later a small origami flapping bird lands on Anna's hand. She unfolds it.

It is done. He should be coming out of it now.

Silently, she shows the note to Sebastian and he throws a glance at the Slytherin table. Ominis is sitting still as a statue next to Olesya.

"I think he is out of it now..." Sebastian whispers, frowning, "but I'm guessing he can't leave right this second..."

"What class would he have?"

"Arithmancy, I think. I don't believe there are any Durmstrangs that take it."

"Thank goodness..."

"Let's get to the Undercroft," he takes her hand, squeezing it gently, "he will go there if he needs a safe space..."

She nods and they leave the Hall quickly.

Her heart is beating high in her throat, the anxiety making her palms moist with sweat and she quickly wipes them against her black robes. They rush into the secret room, one she hasn't been in for over a month as being here without Ominis... feels wrong.