Fractured and Mended

"What the hell is wrong with that bastard?!"

Anna, Anne, Poppy and Ominis are all trying to restrain Sebastian from tearing ahead, finding Alexandre and duelling him on the spot.

"You can't!" Anna is baring his path as he is trying to shake off his twin hanging from his shoulders like a dead weight, "the Tournament rules are clear, no confrontation between Champions outside the-"

"To fucking hell with the rules!!" Sebastian tries to sidestep her only to bump into Ominis who is not budging. The taller boy's arm shot out, grabbing him by the neck.

"Please, Sebastian, it was just a dance-" Poppy stares at them all with giant puppy eyes, usually enough to convince a ravenous manticore to change its mind and become a vegetarian.

"He kissed her!"

"Please, Sebastian," Anna is on the verge of tears and angrily swipes at her stinging eyes, "not so loud!"

Had there not been enough shame and mortification she had to endure tonight?

"I-" he finally looks at her face, her trembling lower lip, her red-rimmed eyes. In the reflection of the window, Anna can see her face is flushed in unflattering reddish blotches from embarrassment and anger, and a few strands of hair fell out of the updo to spill over her shoulders and back.

She is a mess.

"Anna..." his voice breaks and she turns away.

"I'm going to go," she says quietly, hugging herself.

"Anna, please my love..." Ominis reaches for her but she moves out of his grasp, "there is still more..."

"Going to go jump in his bed, aren't you?!"

Anne hisses like an angry cat and grabs her brother into a chokehold but the words have already flown his mouth. Anna flinches as if he struck her, grabs a handful of her heavy skirt and runs out of the vestibule, sobbing. Behind her, shouting and shrieking are heard but she can't make out what any of them are saying, the ringing in her ears is too loud.

She flees to the only place she knows none of them can follow - Ravenclaw Common Room, now empty of people because of the ball. Hot tears run down her cheeks as she stumbles into her dark room and climbs onto the mattress without bothering to undress.

Hugging her knees, she looks out into the night, the window right up against the side of her bed, and she rests her heated cheek against the cold glass.

Everything went so wrong...

Sebastian's shout still reverberates in her ears, his anger and jealousy bubbling over, spilling into his words, into his voice. Into hurtful malice.

Is this how it will always be?... he is so caring and gentle... when it suits him. Not when she needs understanding and help, drowning in confusion and distress.

The glass mists over from her breath as she sobs.

She sniffles, wiping her face with her glove.

Time blurs as she watches the distant twinkling stars and she is only startled back to reality when the door clicks as it swings open.

"S-Samantha?..." Anna hides her face with a trembling hand, which will probably do absolutely nothing, her voice is laced with hurt and tears, "I'm s-sorry, I didn't know you'll be-"

"Anna..." The voice is not Samantha's.

She turns to see Ominis in the doorway, his blond hair shining silver in the cold moonlight.