Hunter and Prey

"Yeah, I see them around."

Anna frowns, worrying her lower lip nervously.

"They stay there, you think?"

"Those two seem to be living out of a tavern, for some months. Hell if I know why. Drinking a lot, getting into fights, screaming about their family and such."

Ernie Lark makes a face, his enchanted orchestra producing a cacophony of discordant squeaks and his annoyed wand flick.

"Never tip."

"I see."

They are huddled in a side alley near Hog's Head Inn before Ernie's usual performance. Sebastian is hovering at the back entrance to the narrow passageway, keeping an eye out for anyone who might want to listen in.

"They are Dark wizards, Ernie. Please be very careful around them."

"Like Ashwinders?"

"Worse. Way worse."

"True, even Rookwood would throw me a few sickles."

Anna rolls her eyes at Ernie, an exasperated sigh escaping her lips. She'd take tangling with the dearly departed Victor Rookwood any day over the Gaunt brothers.

At least Rookwood had some semblance of reason to him, however petty and cruel.

"Not the point. They are here for me. They want to kill me."

"Bloody hell. What did you do?"

"Have been spawned from a Muggle-born father," she cringes in disdain, "that's enough for them to condemn me to death."

"Well shit, they better not hear that my Mum is a Muggle. Not even a Muggle-born."

"Best keep that to yourself when they are around. Then again, they might not even care... you aren't the one sleeping with their pureblood brother."

"Oh-ho-ho, that is some tea."

"I swear to God, Ernie."

The musician winks and gives her a friendly grin.

"So, what is it you want with me?"

"When you're performing in Upper Hogsmeade if you see them split up - perhaps if one leaves or something like that - send word."

"I see... and how exactly? I can't just stop playing, you know."

"Here".

Anna hands her friend a set of silver cufflinks ornamented with hissing serpent heads. Ominis had a matching pair which he didn't mind parting from.

"I put a Protean charm on them. If you transfigure words onto the surface of the metal the set we have will change as well."

"I see..."

"Can you do that for me?"

"Well, seeing as you bought me damn nearly all my instruments... I owe you one," the man laughs before closing the small box containing the cufflinks with a sharp snap, "very well. Give those bastards what for."

"Thank you, Ernie."

"Any time. Just don't tell them who passed the word along."

The musician walks out of the alley and takes his usual spot near the inn.

"Now what?" Sebastian leans against the wall near her, arms crossed over his wide chest.

"Now, we wait until one of them leaves and attack while they are split up."

A grim smirk spreads across Sebastian's freckled face.

"Divide and conquer."

"Exactly."