Bones and Shells

"Professor Howin sure has been absent a lot," Poppy muses as they walk back from the class. The autumn chill is starting to creep on the Highlands, and the golden leaves crunch softly as they walk, "I do hope she's alright."

Professor Garlick and professor Sharp have been taking over the class directions while Howin is away. They both have a rather impressive knowledge of magical creatures, which makes her hopeful for her Auror future. Sharp certainly seems pleased she continued the class, despite it not being strictly necessary for her future possible career.

But a potioneer must know his or her ingredients.

"Yes... it's a bit concerning. But she didn't look injured or sick last week..." Anna looks over her shoulder before saying anything else. They seem to be alone, with the other students already pretty far ahead, "I think it might have something to do with the Triwizard Tournament trials."

"Oooh!" Poppy covers her mouth, aghast, "no! They wouldn't, professor Howin wouldn't!..."

Anna shakes her head, understanding her distress.

"I don't think they would want the creatures to be killed or injured, Poppy. But they may involve them as a part of the challenge.

"Hmm... maybe..." the Hufflepuff seems distinctly disturbed by Anna's conclusion, "I have to ask her."

"I doubt she'll tell you. But..."

"But..." Poppy's round eyes widen in understanding, "but..."

Anna smirks.

"You are reading my mind, Poppy, I swear."

No, she cannot simply ask Howin... but she sure as hell can tail her and see where she is going.

Howin is taking precautions when leaving on her excursions, but it's simple enough to follow her trail even when she is under an Invisibility cloak. She still leaves footprints, and Anna is following her in the gloom of the early evening.

She has been capturing an astonishing variety of creatures over the weeks, magical and not. The more Anna watches, the more she is convinced Howin is preparing for the Triwizard trial.

Spiders, trolls, dugbogs, fire crabs, quintapeds, hippogryphs, kneazles, wolves, boars and elks.

Perhaps the Champions would have to fight their way through. She grits her teeth. Alexandre will be at a clear advantage over the other two, as they do not study Care of Magical Creatures with them.

He would know how to deal with all those beasts.

She bites her lip, frowning. She has been coaching Sebastian on what to do for each of the beasts he will encounter, using her Vivariums to show and introduce him to the creatures and how to handle them, but there is no way of knowing what else she might have missed, before beginning to tail Howin...

It seems this time their professor is heading to the coast. Anna follows at a distance, not daring to hop on a broom just on the off-chance Howin might spot her, or she loses the trail.

The ground is quite muddy after the recent rain, so it's hard to miss the footprints she leaves. The fresh scent of petrichor permeates the air as she stalks after Howin, covered by a Disillusionment charm.

It's dark when Howin finally stops, looking around by the moonlight. Anna crouches behind a bush, watching the barely shimmering distortion. Howin is looking for something... another beast, no doubt.

But where are they? They've been walking for nearly two hours. Anna knows she is somewhere on the Poidsear coast, but where? She isn't used to looking at it from the ground level.