Prince and Viscount

"Last year, huh..."

"Well, I've only been here for two, so..."

"NEWTs are called that way for a reason, you better not be slacking off, Sebastian."

The dark-haired young man presses a hand over his heart, opening his chocolate eyes wide despite Ominis not being able to see him, of course. Anna can, though, and she can't help but laugh at his mock wounded expression.

"When had I ever?"

Ominis shakes his head with a heavy sigh.

"Incorrigible."

The Thestral-pulled carriage rocks gently as they pull up to the gates of the castle. Sebastian's face is already full of longing and they haven't even parted ways for the evening. Ominis finds her hand and leaves a tender kiss on the back of her hand before pulling her in for a loving embrace.

"I'm not going away," she laughs, nuzzling his throat, "we'll all be back together before you know it."

"Yes, but..." His face is tight with controlled sorrow, "I will have to go back to hiding my true feelings, my love. It isn't the most pleasant thing, not after the summer we had."

Anna sighs, resting her forehead on his shoulder.

"One last term. Then, we'll be free."

Ominis' sigh is wistful as he releases her from his arms.

"You should come to our table, love," Sebastian nudges her with his leg from across the cabin, his foot sliding up her calf under her skirts.

"It's the opening banquet, it would be truly awkward. Tomorrow, sure."

"Ugh, fine."

They clamber out of the carriage and join the stream of other students. Ominis and Sebastian, especially the former, now tower over their underclassmen. Being so close to them for so long, Anna never really noticed how much they'd grown.

"Birdie!"

A small, dense body slams into her from behind at full tilt, nearly toppling her to the ground. Anna laughs as Imelda bear-hugs her from behind.

"Hey there."

"I'm finally the captain!"

"Congratulations," she smiles, patting the other girl on the arm, "at last, huh?"

"About bloody time!" Imelda nudges her with an elbow, "you better try out this year! Do you know yet who your captain is?"

"No clue. I've never been around when the season was on."

"Well, whoever they are, they'd be a moron not to take you."

"Thanks."

They pass through the double doors into the Hall and Imelda groans as Sebastian leans in to kiss Anna.

"Merlin, you're still with him? You know you've got options, right?"

Anna laughs and gives the Slytherin girl a half-hug.

"I know. But believe it or not, I like having him around."

"Guess there is no accounting for taste. Or is the fucking too good? Actually, don't answer that."

"Imelda!"

"Later, Birdie," the Slytherin captain saunters away to her House's table. Sebastian rolls his eyes while Ominis shakes his head in exasperation.

"Why are you two friends again?..." Sebastian sighs and follows, with Ominis brushing her hand with his under the cover of the throng of people before also heading to the Slytherin table.