Written and Spoken

"So... how in Merlin's name did you end up being a Keeper? I never thought Imelda would let you anywhere near the team."

They walk to the castle in the gathering twilight. Sebastian scoffs, crossing his arms. Anne clears her throat, a pained expression on her face.

"It may have been my fault, Anna, I'm so-"

"The people trying out for the position were so pathetic. We'd be dead in the water against someone like you. I kept saying that I could do better, and then Anne said that if I'm so sure of it, why don't I give it a shot," Sebastian's voice has that familiar arrogant drawl, "so I did. Grabbed one of your brooms - sorry, I should have asked first but you were busy with your own tryouts - and completely smashed the competition."

"You do realise that it means you will be directly opposing Anna, right?" His twin gives him a smack on the shoulder, "ugh, I just wanted you to be put in your place. Your head is big enough already."

"Hear hear," Ominis pinches the bridge of his nose, exhaling, "I'm the one who will have to deal with the effects of your rivalry off the field."

"Now wait just a moment, it's not like I'm going to-"

"Sebastian, have you met you?" Anne rolls her eyes to the darkening heaven, "Merlin..."

Anna frowns, watching the siblings bicker. Sebastian would probably not be able to stop the heated feelings of the match from spilling into their personal life... but neither will she.

"Perhaps I should withdraw," she murmurs, twisting her cuff. The fabric has gotten some grass stains on it from when she was sitting on the pitch...

"Absolutely not," Ominis' voice brooks no opposition, "you gave up enough for Sebastian. If anyone should withdraw from the team it's him."

Anna throws a glance at the Sallow twins, their voices getting louder and louder, completely oblivious to what she and Ominis are saying.

"... but he isn't going to."

"... no," Ominis' pale eyes fall close as his wand guides him, and Anna rests her hand on his elbow. An unassuming enough gesture, it wouldn't be unusual for her, Sebastian or Anne to help him through the passageways of the castle.

But she just wants to feel connected with him. During the summer they could walk around in public together, openly, as lovers do. She already misses that.

Just one more term.

But of course, she is unable not to ask herself - what then?...

A familiar rustling of wings fills the Great Hall as the owls arrive. Anna looks up, searching for Cedena, though she is pretty sure she wouldn't be back this quickly. It's a long flight over to Egypt.

There are plenty of golden-brown owls but none of them are hers. Anna turns back to her breakfast.

Sebastian's face has disappeared behind the issue of a Daily Prophet, only tufts of unruly brown hair poking from behind the paper.

A large black eagle owl lands in front of Ominis, knocking over a plate. The young man frowns and unties a letter from its foot. Anna raises an eyebrow but doesn't ask anything. It is unusual for Ominis to receive correspondence, but not unheard of.

Ominis reads the letter with his wand, the frown deepening. Concern begins to bubble up in Anna's chest as he crumples the paper in his fist.

"Is something wro-"

"Sebastian!"

Anne slides onto the bench opposite them, her hand smacking down a piece of paper on the table hard enough that the cutlery jumps.