Attention and Distraction

"Are you sure she would be alright with that?..."

Sebastian chuckles and shrugs.

"She says it's fine. She might as well lend a hand, just for the opening."

"But... wasn't she... last year..."

Sebastian flicks her nose with his finger and Anna squeaks in indignation at the small sting.

"Silly witch. It was you she was interested in, not me."

Anna's jaw drops. Sebastian guffaws at her flabbergasted expression and taps under her chin.

"Staring isn't polite, love."

"I'm..." Anna covers her burning face, "I'm such a bloody idiot, I don't even know what to say or do."

Sebastian shrugs. Poppy has become a good friend for him too over the last year, her affinity for magical creatures providing him with the rarest potion ingredients, and his potions keeping her safe during excursions. It was a mutually beneficial, harmonious arrangement. And eventually, profit gave way to genuine friendship.

Besides, Poppy is patient and kind enough to deal with him.

"Anyway, Poppy and Anne... well. Just don't change the way you treat her. She's your friend first and foremost, one of the better ones considering you've also got Reyes."

"And you," she rolls her eyes at him.

"I resent this statement."

"Troublemaker," she stands on tiptoes to press a fond kiss into his cheek, "I have to go. Natty is helping me with my hair."

His arms tighten around her, his dark eyes full of longing.

"Bloody hell you are so... so beautiful."

The gown she is wearing is as dark and deep as the night sky, with small gems scattered across it like twinkling stars.

"It will be alright, Sebastian," she whispers, hugging him back, "it's going to be just a dance."

"It's not just a dance," his voice is hoarse as he leans in closer, his hand cupping her face and tilting it up, "not for us."

"It will be for me and Alexandre, and that is it."

"Do you have to dance with him all night?..."

"That's what going with someone means, Sebastian."

"Not for you it's not," he grumbles, rolling his eyes. She chuckles in response.

"Can you really blame me now? How long have you actually loved Ominis and didn't realise it?"

"I suppose I can't," Sebastian sighs and runs his fingers through the neatly styled hair, messing it up again. Anna huffs and smooths it down, Ominis' pomade truly is the stuff of magic.

"I do have to go now," she untangles herself from the embrace and hurries past.

"Remember what we talked about, Anna... Be careful with him," he throws over his shoulder, his voice dark.

Anna's long hair has been elaborately platted, tucked and twisted into a beautiful updo, fresh flowers from the greenhouse tucked into the woven strands.

She feels beautiful and confident, and this time her gloved hands do not fidget as she walks down the Grand Staircase, the long train of her dress flowing after her like a pool of blackest water as she descends.

Alexandre is waiting for her near the hourglasses, wearing a stunning black suit. It's sharply cut, almost military in its appearance, epaulettes and lapels in the Beauxbatons blue, and he turns to face her with an enchanting smile that makes her stomach flutter, straightening and clicking his heels before bowing deeply.