Marks and Paths

It is yet another hot day in the desert. Anna is holding up her lighted wand for her father as he is taking a careful rubbing of a wall carving with paper and charcoal.

He was correct in his hunch that ancient Egyptians had different views on Parselmouths. It seems that some - probably Parselmouths themselves in life - had hidden some of their most valuable possessions and knowledge behind false doors, walls or hidden staircases and passages that would only open to those who speak the snake's tongue.

"Why do you think it was so prevalent compared to today, papa?"

The man hums in thought as he carefully puts away the rubbing, fetching a fresh page to continue the task.

"It's only a guess, but in a society that reveres snakes, it might have been something ancient witches and wizards actually esteemed in a potential partner, thus strengthening and propagating the trait. Once that was no longer the case, it would have fallen out of favour."

"It does seem likely..."

When finally they get out of the crypt, the sun is long past its zenith.

"Anna!" She squints against the golden glare of the sun. Sebastian is waving his hand to her from their campsite down below, "come quick!"

"What's wrong?!" She yells back, mildly worried.

He waves an envelope. She raises an eyebrow. He wouldn't be this insistent about a letter from the usual suspects, letting them sit until she would get around to reading and responding to Anne, Imelda, Natty or Poppy.

However...

"Wouldn't that be your OWLs results?" Her father asks just as her heart is sinking in realisation. She breaks into a run down the rocky slope, "be careful!"

She isn't too worried. After a year spent clambering up and down the Scottish Highlands, her steps are sure and a quick dash wouldn't do her any harm.

Sliding the final part of the descent, she runs over to Sebastian and snatches the envelope. It indeed bears the Hogwarts seal in red sealing wax.

Anna looks up at the boy.

"Did you open yours already?"

He nods, smiling.

"Go on, open it!"

As she breaks the seal with trembling hands, her father catches up just as Ominis emerges from the tent, a paper in hand.

"Ah, Mr Visconti, I recorded the attempts at unlocking the secret passage and which words and sentences were tried and used, along with which one ended up working, if you'd like to look over it."

"Certainly," her father eagerly scans the page as Ominis walks over to her struggling with the folded sheet of paper.

Anna finally gets the page to unfold and reads, with Sebastian leaning over her shoulder.

Ordinary Wizarding Level Results

Anna Adelaide Visconti has achieved

Astronomy | A

Care of Magical Creatures | O

Charms | E

Defence Against the Dark Arts | O

Divination | P

Herbology | E

History of Magic | P

Potions | E