Chapter 7 - Hanging Out Pt. 2

A/n: I don't think I've mentioned dis b4, but all of the schools I mention in this series are all made up. So there isn't a michigan academy and stuff, just in case you don't know yet. Yea, dat's all. ENJOYY!!

_____________________

TW: Very slight swearing

_____________________

Chapter 7

September 20, Sunday

Arthur's POV

I could hear Kathrin clear her throat from beside me, before asking, "Well, have you ever been in love?" shifting the spotlight to go onto me.

"Well, uhm, there is this one... guy," I stammered, and from the corner of my eye, I could see a smug look on the girls' face. "I wouldn't necessarily say I'm in love with him-- but I've had multiple friends before, and they just weren't like.. him."

"Why don't you tell me more about him?" Kathrin requested, offering me a small smile.

"Well, uhm, people always made fun of him for his glasses, and his height; and how he would much rather stick his head in a book rather than actually speaking with the people around him." I started explaining.

"But I just never saw what's wrong with him, even with all the bullying people have done. I mean, he's flawed.. but so is everyone else. And where people see a 'loser', I see the only person that seems to truly make me happy."

"You're talking about Leonard, aren't you?" Kathrin quizzed, smirking every so slightly, while I nervously nodded.

I just-- I don't know. I've known Leonard since the third grade in this fancy rich-kid boarding school I went to all the way back in England.

I've never been that smart-- actually, I have always been considered stupid- and smartass Leonard Lee was apparently too smart for the first grade in the school he went to, so he got a scholarship to join mine.

People started bullying him just because he was a little bit younger than the rest of us, and me being me naturally started defending him-- and over time, we became best friends.

Though over the years, my grades just couldn't seem to go up. The only reasons the school even let me stay for so long is because: I have money, I'm the best player on the basketball team and that I'm well-known for being charitable.

But the school obviously didn't want some guy that couldn't even graduate to be in their senior year, so that's why I moved to Michigan Academy-- possibly the most accepting school there is; well the most accepting school my parents could find.

And Leonard might seem like the 'I don't need friends if I have books' type of guy, but he decided to move here with me nevertheless.

I think I first really started to like him in a more-than-friends way since my early teens, but only realised after he was willing to irrationally sacrifice a great opportunity just to be with me.

And being a stereotypical jock and gym rat, I would take a wild guess and say that most people probably didn't think I was gay.

And for the longest time, I thought I wasn't gay. I tried to suppress my feelings, which was probably why it took me so long to realise I liked Leonard anyways.

But I really couldn't anymore. I've been ignored and neglected by so many people just because I wasn't intellectually where they were, and I just can't keep ignoring and neglecting myself as well.

And well, I got to come out to the first person.

Kathrin's POV

Arthur was silent for a while, so I just assumed he got worried that I might expose him, which is why I started talking again to break the quietude.

"Don't worry, I won't tell him-- I mean what kind of person would I be if I did?" I started saying, trying to reassure him as I started sitting up again to be looking down at him.

"But if you really feel this way towards him, you should let him know. I know it sounds cliché, but would you rather be tortured by the thought of rejection, or continue to be in agony from hiding these feelings from him?" I finished saying.

And I could see a small smile grow on the redheads' face, as if saying 'thank you'.

After a while more of talking, we both decided it was time to go home. As he was walking me to my house, I could see Sienna and Maeva walking by.

Sure, they were probably still mad because I didn't take either side, but this would be eleven years worth of friendship getting flushed down the drain, even longer with Sienna.

But in a situation where Nate is defenseless while possibly being innocent, and Maeva has already got a person on her side, I've decided that it was only fair that Nate could get the benefit of the doubt from one friend of Maevas'.

Either way, as the pair walked past me, I offered them a smile as I waved cheerily at them-- though all I got in return was a glare from Sienna and not even a glance from Maeva.

And from that moment, I realised I have become the bad guy yet again-- though this time I was only to blame.

_____________________

825 words (edited)