Chapter 38 - Graduation Pt. 3

_____________________

Chapter 38

June 11, Friday

Maeva's POV

And just when I thought everything was going great again, life has to find some way to put me down. I thought I found someone great, I thought I found a person who I could be happy with; I really did.

Sienna told me about what happened that night on my birthday. How Josh went over to Nate's house and beat up both him and his brother. And that if Kathrin didn't join in, much worse could've happened.

But I guess happiness just isn't for me. My dating life is so sad that it could almost make me laugh. My first real boyfriend was abusive and possessive. I hated my second boyfriend for basically my entire life, oh yea and he cheated on me. And now a boy I've had feelings for, at least what I thought were feelings, turns out to be as crazy as Oskar.

Why can't I just like someone who isn't untrustworthy or crazy? Is my type really that bad?

Though honestly, if I think back to it, I didn't actually like Josh, not in the way I was supposed to. I just needed attention, male attention. I needed that sort of care and affection that Nate gave me, just from a different person. I guess I just needed to be... loved again.

Either way, I was at Sienna's place. She just graduated, and was celebrating with her family. I never technically got a graduation party, since mine was really last minute, so she invited me to celebrate with her.

"Can't believe my little girl graduated," Mr. Millers stated, going over to hug his daughter. I looked over to them in awe. That's what I wanted with my dad, that closeness and warmth that I lost way too soon... twice.

After they let go of eachother, I could see the man turn over to me, reach a hand out, as if to call me over. "C'mon, you're practically a part of the family now." The man stated, gesturing for me to go to them. I felt a smile grow on my face as we all hugged together.

Time skip

Sienna, her parents and I were all at the dinner table, enjoying the hearty meal Sienna's mom made us (which was a little more bland than I would've preferred, but still pretty good).

"So, Sienna sweetheart, have you thought about where you want to go for college? I know we haven't talked about this much, but I think it is a good time since you have graduated." Mrs. Millers started saying, taking small bites of her food.

"Well, I was thinking I would go to Michigan College, since they have the art and technology courses I need to become an architect-- and also because Maeva is there," Sienna replied, looking at me with a wide smile, which I returned, "Though otherwise, nothing else."

Honestly, I feel relieved that Sienna was choosing to come to Michigan College too. I mean, I wouldn't want me to be the only reason Sienna is going there, of course, but it's been such a hard year without her and... Kathrin. Even though Sienna and I haven't stopped being friends throughout all of this, and even if I did make a new friend in that school, it's still been difficult for me, and just really... lonely.

We continued conversing about multiple things, though everything went silent when Mr. Millers asked, "How is everything going with Kathrin?"

A frown etched on my face as I looked down at my lap. "Dad, I told you, we don't talk about her." Sienna reminded, Mr. Millers sighing as he said, "I just mean, it's been almost a year since the fallout, I was just wondering if you patched up? If you're maybe talking again? I mean, she was almost like family too."

This sort of tension-filled silence fell upon us, the only sounds we could hear being some faint chewing and utensils cluttering quietly. "Yea.. yea, I guess she was family." Sienna murmured, her eyes seeming to start watering.

But that was when I heard the doorbell, repeatedly being pressed, followed by rapid and loud knocks. Mr. Millers, alarmed, went to open the door. And coming in was none other than Kathrin and Jeremy-- panting and sweaty, almost as if they ran here.

"What's wrong? What are you two doing here?" I questioned, standing up from my seat and slightly walking closer to them. Kathrin said nothing, she just handed me her phone; practically shoving it in my hands.

But then-- with my eyes glossy and my hands shaky-- I saw the thing that made my heart drop to my stomach.

_____________________

776 words (edited)